Does Anyone Own Confetti Cakes For Kids? Need Help

Decorating By saracupcake Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 3:47pm by springlakecake

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I was just about to bake the apple cinnamon cake in Confetti Cakes for Kids and I'm not sure about the recipe.

I'm in the UK and I'm wondering if I have a UK version and the conversion of the ingredients hasn't gone quite right.

It says to add 1 tablespoon and a teaspoon of baking powder- this seems an awful lot to me, it then says to add the same quantity of cinnamon, I love cinnamon but again this seems a lot to me.

Can anyone in the US who owns the book do a quick check for me and see what their version says.

Or, if this sounds normal to you can you let me know.

Thanks
Sara

9 replies
sweetattitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetattitude Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

I checked my copy and it has the same measurements.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, my copy also calls for 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon. I checked a popular baking site, and it gives general usage as 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup of flour, so maybe it isn't excessive.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 10

For measurements purposes there is 3 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon.
The amount of cinnamon does seem excessive to me too. You can always put in to taste at first. I don't know how many cups of flour are in the batter, I don't have it in front of me.

Let us know how you like it, I would be curious.

saracupcake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for all the replies, perhaps the baking powder is correct, there are 3 and 3/4 cups of flour so using 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup would be about right.

I'll go ahead and bake it and let you know.

Sara

saracupcake Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:47am
post #6 of 10

OK, I made it and used a tablespoon of baking poweder I left out the extra t-spoon as a concession to my doubt (not rational, I know!) and I only used a teaspoon of cinnamon.

It was so good I had to make a second one! Elisa recommends the Brown Sugar Buttercream with it and that too was very very good.

It's worth a try if you have the time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me, it was very good of all of you.

Sara

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to stick a note of this in my copy.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 10

I am glad someone else raised this question about the cake. I made it twice with good results. Then I made it two or three other times and it sunk....like the Titanic! probably about 10 minutes before it was supposed to be done. I think the excessive baking powder and soda was probably the problem, making it too unstable. I am afraid to try it again because of all the time and ingredients.

katiescakesaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiescakesaz Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you springlakecake! I've made this recipe twice in cupcake form and both times they sunk! I've had a request for this flavor of cake and I need to get it right. I'm going to try adding less baking powder and soda and see what happens.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 10

I decided to ditch the recipe because I found a wonderful NEW recipe. Buttermilk Spice cake by Emeril Lagasse. I just threw in some diced granny smith apples and it was wonderful. The recipe can be found on the Foodnetwork site. i didn't try making cupcakes though. This is a recipe we are currently testing on the Scratch-off thread. So far two of us have tested it and we both really liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%