All-Butter Buttercream Question

Baking By Amber0508 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm by LindaF144a

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 8

I've been using an all butter buttercream recipe to ice all my cakes, but as soon as they get to room temp, any kind of touch leaves a dent, and delivering them is a nightmare. Is there anything I can add to stabilize, or do I just need to change completely? It is getting hot here in NC, and I can't keep this up through the summer!

The icing is delicious, but it isn't worth this stress! Help, please!

7 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 8

for a batch of buttercream , I add 2 sticks US butter, 1 stick salted, and 1/2 cup shortening...to approx 2 pounds PS. I don't have a problem with it, and it crusts nicely....

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 8

I often use all butter buttercream, and have found a few different things that help. 1) Mix a little white chocolate into your buttercream. 2) Adding a little extra sugar to the buttercream seems to help it crust better. 3) Mix butter & hi-ratio 3 to 1.

4) Use a nice, stiff all-butter buttercream for the filling, and use a Hi-Ratio only (or a butter / Hi-ration mix) for the icing. The only problem I've found with using the butter/Hi-ratio mix is sometimes the icing color can look slightly blotchy due to the difference in color between the Hi-Ratio (bright white) and butter (yellow). I can't find reasonably priced white butter locally, so I just mix them as well as I can and hope for the best.

pinksugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugarmama Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

What about adding a tbsp of meringue powder, that will help it crust.

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 8

I was wondering the same thing. Can I add Meringue powder to all butter buttercream? Because I am having the same problems and It is hard to put it back in the fridge to work on the cake!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber0508

I've been using an all butter buttercream recipe to ice all my cakes, but as soon as they get to room temp, any kind of touch leaves a dent, and delivering them is a nightmare. Is there anything I can add to stabilize, or do I just need to change completely? It is getting hot here in NC, and I can't keep this up through the summer!

The icing is delicious, but it isn't worth this stress! Help, please!

I use all butter buttercream and always deliver a very COLD cake so as not to have issues with the softened icing. The air conditioning in my car is going full blast all the time. No problems with cake coming to room temp at the event. Just deliver an hour or two before. No one should be touching it once it's set up except to cut it. All my decor stays on too. Don't put in a very warm area though unless it's to be eaten soon after delivery.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 8

I always add 1-2 TBS meringue powder to my all butter BC. Gives it a nice crust. However, in heat and all butter BC will soften, that is just the nature of butter. If you need it to hold up in heat a bit better use 50/50 butter/shortning and still add the meringue powder, or make an all shortning bc like indydebi's or shugarshack's.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 8

I read from a baker on another forum that IMBC is much more stable. It is because you candy the sugar before you add it to the eggs. It is much more stable than SMBC.

If you are using AMBC, then this won't help as that is not cooked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%