Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By DawnR Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm by d3sc3n7

DawnR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DawnR Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:52am
post #1 of 4

I have to make a cake covered in fondant today. It will have a pastry cream filling. Am I able to refrigerate this? I am using wilton store-bought fontant. Thanks

3 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

Most people on here say that you can't refrigerate fondant cakes, but I refrigerate all my fondant cakes. I live in Hawaii and it is too hot to leave the cakes sitting out for days. It does make the fondant shiny like it's dewy, when you pull it out, but I don't think it takes anything away from the look of the cake and it allows me to use fillings that I wouldn't be able to use if they cakes couldn't be refrigerated. Check out my pics-ALL of these cakes were refrigerated.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 4

I store all of my forndant cakes in the fridge, too. Granted, I live in Phoenix where humidity and condensation really aren't a problem. I've never had an issue.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4

I use MMF, not the store bought stuff. I put all mine in the fridge. With a creme filling, your going to have to refrigerate either way. I cover mine lightly in plastic wrap, and leave them in the fridge.

In fact, I just did a 3 tier TT cake. (8/12/16 square) and it spent a few days in the fridge during the build...delivered it stacked. Anyway...it was just fine in the fridge. Just make sure its removed from the fridge early enough to it can "thaw" if you will.

Also, a CLEAN! fan blowing on the fondant as it warms will help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%