How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 11:55am by sugarandstuff

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #31 of 44

If you can't charge enough to make a living from it, then I wouldn't charge at all.

I'd rather give it away than have someone think it's fair that I pocket 20.00 for 8 hours of work. Those aren't the kind of people I'd want to be working for (and when you do a cake for someone...you are "working for them").

It's less insulting to do it as a gift than to pretend they are paying you a fair price.

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

If you can't charge enough to make a living from it, then I wouldn't charge at all.

I'd rather give it away than have someone think it's fair that I pocket 20.00 for 8 hours of work. Those aren't the kind of people I'd want to be working for (and when you do a cake for someone...you are "working for them").

It's less insulting to do it as a gift than to pretend they are paying you a fair price.

Well, I disagree but like I said your reason for your prices has to work for you. I enjoy doing really cool cakes for people who are normally stuck with flat grocery store cakes. It makes them happy and makes me happy with no money out of my pocket plus I get to do something I love.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat-a-cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Well, I disagree but like I said your reason for your prices has to work for you. I enjoy doing really cool cakes for people who are normally stuck with flat grocery store cakes. It makes them happy and makes me happy with no money out of my pocket plus I get to do something I love.

I like your attitude pat-a-cakes.

3GCakes - I wouldn't pretend I am being paid a fair price, if I wasn't. Friends and family know that I expect my costs to be covered, plus more. They also know the cake would have cost them a lot more elsewhere. I enjoy what I do, and enjoy blessing people with me "gift".

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #34 of 44

OP i also live in Canada, and your cakes are amazing, it would be great if we could all set our prices and get what our cakes are actually worth (in our eyes and others), i agree with you, it's hard to set a price. i've just quoted a friend $50 for a 9" fondant cake, torted with fondant figures. i've just started with the money end of it and i too only require that my costs be covered, but something extra would be nice too!!

pursuing_perfection Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead

OP i also live in Canada, and your cakes are amazing, it would be great if we could all set our prices and get what our cakes are actually worth (in our eyes and others), i agree with you, it's hard to set a price. i've just quoted a friend $50 for a 9" fondant cake, torted with fondant figures. i've just started with the money end of it and i too only require that my costs be covered, but something extra would be nice too!!

I am sure most people would say you quoted way less than you should have, but as long as your costs are covered, then you decide from there how good of a friend this person is! Make sure you post a picture of the cake!

pipoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipoca Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #36 of 44

this was very interesting i too am canadian and i know i could not get the price i deserve sometimes im not even sure i cover costs ..but i enjoy making them and for close friends i just gift them i find a better choice to do that if its a special ocasion.......im new here so i dont have any good pics posted but i'll be posting soon icon_smile.gif

pursuing_perfection Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #37 of 44

Hey, Motorhead... I just discovered OP stands for original poster (which in this case was myself). So, thanks for the compliment!

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #38 of 44

Another fellow Canadian here from a relatively small town. I have been making cakes on the side for about a year now and have read lots of these posts...and I still cannot come up with an actual pricing point that I am firm with. I still waffle each time when someone asks me how much I charge. I have settled on 2 dollars each for decorated cupcakes but the overall pricing still eludes me. Is it a Canadian thing..are we to shy ..lol???

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:15am
post #39 of 44

Samiam, are you right in Kingston?

Head onto www.kijiji.ca You can choose Kingston or Napanee
Do a search with the word cakes
Up will pop a few posts from folks that are doing wedding cakes in Kingston.

HTH!!

icon_smile.gif

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:17am
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

HTH!!

icon_smile.gif

I have never thought to do that..I assume that might help the OP as well and all the rest of the Canadians on this thread. I will do. Thanks for the tip!!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:54am
post #41 of 44

I am in NJ which is similar to NYC prices. For my baked products (I'm new to cakes - so I can't speak to it) I follow the standard pricing rule in the food industry which is 3 times your cost of materials. I honestly have no clue what I would feel comfortable charging yet for the cakes because I'm still learning and I'm slow. Personally, I would feel comfortable paying up to $125 for this cake.

pursuing_perfection Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

I am in NJ which is similar to NYC prices. For my baked products (I'm new to cakes - so I can't speak to it) I follow the standard pricing rule in the food industry which is 3 times your cost of materials. I honestly have no clue what I would feel comfortable charging yet for the cakes because I'm still learning and I'm slow. Personally, I would feel comfortable paying up to $125 for this cake.

Thanks "sugarandstuff". I have heard the standard is everything from double the cost to quadruple the cost. I guess it depends where you live! It is nice to hear that you think up to $125 is reasonable.

pursuing_perfection Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

HTH!!

icon_smile.gif

I have never thought to do that..I assume that might help the OP as well and all the rest of the Canadians on this thread. I will do. Thanks for the tip!!

I never thought of checking kijiji. Great idea!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:55am
post #44 of 44

Good point, depends where you live - unfortunately everything in my state is out of control expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%