Do I Really Need A Stand Mixer?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm by pinky73

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #61 of 64

I just wanted to let you know that I did buy a stand mixer. I didn't buy a kitchen because I really did not want to pay that much because I am still new to baking. I got a stand mixer for 44 and it's great for beginner like me. The bowl spins while it mixes and the bowl is very sturdy. I just wished that I had dough hooks.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #62 of 64

I have a Cooks stand mixer from JC Penney. LOVE it!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I just wanted to let you know that I did buy a stand mixer. I didn't buy a kitchen because I really did not want to pay that much because I am still new to baking. I got a stand mixer for 44 and it's great for beginner like me. The bowl spins while it mixes and the bowl is very sturdy. I just wished that I had dough hooks.

Did you buy the Sunbeam one?

I have used the Sunbeam one at my son's house. It has a shallow bowl, so be careful. And if your batter gets too thick or if you are creaming butter in the beginning, the bowl may not spin. And due to the shallowness of the bowl (flat bottom, not conical in shape), it creates more problems.

On the other hand, if you are making cake mixes or other things that are a thin batter it will work fine for a first time mixer. So it will depend on what you make. My son bakes from a cake mix. I bake from scratch. Because the cake mix is a thin batter it works great for him. But I make my cakes for him at my house and then bring them instead of making them there. And this also means I get to spend more time visiting my new first grandchild too! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Good luck and have fun!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #64 of 64

This sis a bit off topic, but many have said the SUnbeam mixers have gone down in quality over the years...I don;t have one and I do have a KA my parent's bought for me for Christmas about 12 years ago..it works great and I don't know what I'd do without it. However, I also, around that time got a Singer sewing maching for my birthday because I sew ALOT, clothes, quilts, etc. My mom had a Singer and it was a work horse, heavy, permanently attatched to the wooden stand...so I thought that's what I needed. That stupid "new" sewing machine was the worst thing ever...I had it for about 13 years, made baby bedding, quilts, some clothing, lots of curtains...but it was always broken, made of plastic where it shouldn't have been, etc. I think the Singer company was sold and that would explain the decline in the product. A few years ago I was able to buy a Pfaff machine and it was ridicuously expensive but it purrs like a kitten and I will have it forever. Things just are not made like they used to be I suppose. I'm glad you got a mixer that works for you and it sounds like many others have had great luck with the Sunbeams!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%