Icing A Cake - Bulge/line Where Cakes Meet

Decorating By rfleming Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm by indydebi

rfleming Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfleming Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 8

When icing a cake with buttercream (or any other icing), how do I keep from getting a line where the two cakes meet?? I don't notice this as much when I tort a cake, but when I have two thicker layers I seem to notice where the two layers meet and it really bothers me! Am I putting my buttercream filling to close to the edge?? Am I using too much buttercream?? Any help? it doesn't happen every time, but I normally fill my cakes the same so I don't know what I'm doing to cause the problem sometimes and not others. uggghhh!

7 replies
charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 8

im having the same problem, love to know also

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 8

I usually mix some buttercream really thick and pipe a dam around the edge of the cake before you stack. The thick buttercream will keep the filling from bulging out of your cake. This works every time. Just mix a lot of powdered sugar with your regular buttercream and put it in a bag with a hole cut in the end and pipe all around the edge of the cake. Then fill and let it set for a few minutes before you crumbcoat.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 8

This could also be the cake still settling after you've iced it. How long do you wait after filling before icing?

Leahs (a prominent member here) posted a while back about wrapping your filled and un-iced cake with cling wrap, and then placing a ceramic tile on the cake to get it to "settle" faster.

I used this trick on my last couple of cakes and it is AMAZING! I usually set a level on top of the tile, so I know it's settling straight. Oh, and make sure you place the top-side down. icon_redface.gif I didn't do that the first time and while it turned out fine, I still laughed at myself when i saw the indentations from the bottom of the tile on my cake.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 8

This is happening because there is no dam preventing your icing from "spilling" out. Stiffen some BC incing and pipe a thick dam around the cake where it is to be filled. Make sure you leave your cake to settle for several hours, if not overnight....

HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with both pattigunter and emrldsky. You need to pipe a dam to keep your filling from "escaping". I also add powdered sugar to my buttercream to make it really stiff for the dam. I add powdered sugar until I can roll it in my hands like playdough. Form a dam with the stiffened buttercream then fill your cake.

You also need to allow your cake to settle after filling BEFORE icing or covering with fondant. I level, fill and wrap my cakes and allow them to sit for at least 6-12 hours so they have time to settle. Leah's method of adding weight to the top of the cake is a great way to speed the process if you don't have that much time to allow for it to settle.

rfleming Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfleming Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for the tip. I don't really wait for my cake to settle all the time so that is probably my problem. I have another one to ice tonight so I will try it out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 8

This is the best explanation of bulging I've ever read:

http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

(because of the format of ?Coupon=CC2015"cakeboss" on CC's site, you'll have to copy and paste the link .... but do it. THe explanation and photos will explain it very well.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%