Help Please

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm by confectionsofahousewife

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

I want to make an engagement ring box for a eng. party for Saturday. I stacked the cakes today and I am so afraid they are not stable enough. I did put bubble straws in the bottom 2 tiers and then the 2 on top. I am seriously thinking of take the top one off. The "box" actually looks better laying on its side but I am afraid it would just fall apart. It will be covered in fondant.

Can anyone give me any suggestion? I can not remake these cakes so what I have will have to work.

It is in my photos Thanks in advance.

8 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

I am having trouble picturing what you are describing. Could be more specific? Maybe I'm just dense icon_biggrin.gif I didn't see a picture in your photos. Do you mean you have two separate cakes (each two layers high) that you are stacking together? If so, you need bubble tea straws in the bottom tier (two layers) and then the top tier needs to be sitting on a cake board before you sit it on top of the bottom tier. You probably already know this but I couldn't tell from your description.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

OK I see it now. So there needs to be bubble tea straws in the bottom two layers of chocolate and vanilla. Then there should be a cake board right in the middle underneath the top layers of chocolate and vanilla. Maybe you have one there but I can't tell. It also might help if you trim the edges of the cake a bit. From the pic it looks like the very top layer of vanilla is a little larger than the layers below it. Just take a sharp knife, chill the cake a bit, and trim straight down the sides so the cakes are level on the sides. Oh also, how many bubble tea straws did you use and what size cakes are those?

mindy1204 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 9

I did not put boards in between so I can probably do that. If I can seperate them without ruining it.

THe cakes were 1 9x13 each vanilla and chocolate and they were cut in 4 pieces each making a total of 8.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #5 of 9

I would chill it before you try to pry it apart. The cake won't be quite as fragile. You said you had 8 pieces of cake? Are you using all eight? Am I right that I am only seeing four stacked in your picture? So you just need 3-4 bubble tea straws in the bottom layers of vanilla and chocolate. That should be enough to hold up the top two layers. Make sure you cut the bubble tea straws exactly the same height to keep your cake level.

mindy1204 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 9

Yeah sorry there are 2 of those. One for the bottom of the box and one for the top.

They are in the fridge now so I will try to pry them apart. I put 3 straws I will try to add a few more.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 9

So the top is going to be four layers of cake too? Is it going to be propped up somehow or will it be sitting directly on top of the four layers you have pictured? Just make sure you use your straws and a cake board after every two layers of cake.

Don't add too many straws. The more holes you poke in the cake the less stable it becomes. 3 or 4 should be plenty.

mindy1204 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 9

No it is really like 2 boxes like this photo.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=332043

Thanks for all the help I am so worried it isnt stable enough.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 9

Oh I understand now! Thanks for posting that pic, really helps. How is it going? Did you get it to be more stable?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%