Gum Paste Vs Pastillage (Sp?)

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 19 Apr 2018 , 7:34pm by SandraSmiley

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 17

Ok, so I've been wondering for a while....Is there a difference between gum paste and pastillage? I've seen it used almost interchangeably. I was wondering if it was something similar to the folks across the pond calling fondant sugar paste or if there was something more substantial.

Thanks!

16 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 17

Pastillage is alot harder when it dries. It also feels more brittle. It can be rolled thinner than gumpaste too. I've never seen a pastillage figure and I'm not sure that it can be used for that purpose. I think gumpaste is more suitable for flowers and making animals etc. I think pastillage dries faster too because I know you have to be really careful it doesn't dry out while you're working with it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 17

Gum paste is primarily for delicate/small work.

Pastillage is a stronger medium that is often rolled thicker and used for large pieces, especially structural elements/supports. It dries very quickly and is usually left white and then airbrushed if color is needed.

HTH
Rae

IBBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IBBaking Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:55am
post #4 of 17

Hoping this post gets a response, I know it's over 6 years old.  In desperate need to find a medium that will hold one stuck into fondant.  Looking pastillage, it sounds as if it would hold better than gum paste and not go soft. [postimage id="3767" thumb="900"]

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 3 May 2016 , 4:23am
post #5 of 17

For the snowflakes IBBaking? Gumpaste is the way to go. Pastillage is for a model of the Taj  Mahal ! Lol x 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2016 , 11:33am
post #6 of 17

Even though this is a zombie thread I'll add my 2 cents in. The basic difference between pastillage and gumpaste is that pastillage has no gums in it. The binder in it is just gelatin, so it dries very quickly and isn't as easy to use for shaping things. They use it for things like the large sugar sculptures they make in competitions because you can make big sections of things from it and it has a very fast drying time. For making things like flowers it tends to dry out too quickly for me, so I never use it for anything.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 17

pastillage can just shatter or crack on you -- it's not as resilient --

for those snowflakes and initial i would use fondant mixed with a good amount of corn starch and some flavoring --

another idea for the initial is pate choux -- light as a feather -- very reliable --

IBBaking Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 17

Thank you for the responses everyone.  

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 May 2016 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 17

You can make them all out of gum paste.  Just don't make them exceptionally thin.

Allow them to dry for a very, very long time [like 2 weeks, on a piece of foam, turning over daily] or put them in the oven on parchment on a cookie sheet at the lowest setting for an hour. You an also just put them in the oven for several hours with just the oven light on and no heat. 

Let them cool and then let them sit for a day before using them.  Dip the parts that will be inserted in the cake into melted chocolate.  This way, the moisture from the cake won't get to the gum paste and the insertions will be very sturdy.

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 17

you can also make 'tabs' on them so you have a definite piece to stick into the cake

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 May 2016 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 17

Quote by @-K8memphis on 9 minutes ago

you can also make 'tabs' on them so you have a definite piece to stick into the cake

Yep.  Coat those in chocolate when they're completely dry and you're good to go.

And, a warning---straight fondant WILL NOT DRY enough--it stays damp in the middle for weeks and then becomes brittle when re-hydrated.  You must use gum paste.

IBBaking Posted 6 May 2016 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you, I gave it a practice run.  Looks like I'll be safe using gumpaste. 

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 5:14am
post #13 of 17

Just saw this post. I thought pate choux is a pastry? Will it dry hard enough to use as a structure?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 17

structure? if you do it right -- make small pieces to put together -- i saw jacques torres make a tiered structure to put bon bons or something on -- but yes it cooks up great -- like make a gingerbread house type thing -- i mean it's possible but pate choux becomes structural when it's piped thin -- not in sheets --

but yes pate choux makes wonderful lettering and things -- you've seen the pate choux swans of course -- i've used it for a lot of things -- most bakers do not use it

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 17

Quote by @costumeczar on 3 May 2016 , 7:33am

Even though this is a zombie thread I'll add my 2 cents in. The basic difference between pastillage and gumpaste is that pastillage has no gums in it. The binder in it is just gelatin, so it dries very quickly and isn't as easy to use for shaping things. They use it for things like the large sugar sculptures they make in competitions because you can make big sections of things from it and it has a very fast drying time. For making things like flowers it tends to dry out too quickly for me, so I never use it for anything.

good description @costumeczar. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Apr 2018 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 17

I only use pastillage for the heels and soles for high heeled shoes and, yes, it is rolled out much thicker than most other applications.  lizabu earlier mentioned that pastillage could be rolled thinner than gum paste.  I definitely have not found that to be the case.  On the contrary, my pastillage is difficult to roll thinner than perhaps 1/8 inch and it tends to be very brittle.  It has it uses, but they are limited.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%