Please Let Your Bows Dry!

Decorating By sberryp Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm by ceshell

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 10

Yesterday was my first attempt at making a multi-loop bow and it was terrible. I thought that the fondant was hard and didn't want to wait to give the cake for my co-worker. The cake was a free cake because it was a present a co-worker that is retiring, but I was so mad that the bow did not turn right. Next time I will listen to the directions and wait a day or 2 before trying to put the bow together.

Also do not use tylose and water for the bows it spreads. Everybody may know this but me, but maybe I can help someone by sharing my mistakes.

9 replies
sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 10

picture of bow

There are saying that the picture is too bid. How can I reduce it?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:07am
post #3 of 10

To shrink your photo try www.shrinkpictures.com.

For your bow you definitely need the tylose in there, or else make it out of straight gumpaste. You don't use water; tylose+water is used to make glue. For use in fondant, you just sprinkle it in. How much? Well that's hard to say; some say "1 tsp per batch" but batch sizes may vary. I just eyeball it. Or else I use straight gumpaste.

And yes, you need to work on your bow in advance sunce you will first need the loops to dry, and then you'll need to assemble it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your next attempt!

sberryp Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 10

I did add tylose to my fondant, but I didn't let them dry a full day. Thanks for the advice and can't wait to try to make another bow. My tylose was too watery. It worked for decorations, but not for my bow.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 10

Are you adding water to tylose powder? That might be your problem?? I just knead in the dry tylose powder to my fondant.

sberryp Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 10

No I do not add water to the tylose in the fondant. I add water to tylose to make the glue to hold the bow together. I use the combination of water and glue all the time for glue.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 10

i put my loopy bows together , using r/i or melted chocolate. i make a disk first. when all is dry , i lay the disk on a 6" circle, pipe some r/i or choc. , thenadd first row of loops. let that set up just a min. or two. then, add second row, etc. then add the tails that i have made in advance also. i dry the tail on crunched up foil. makes them looks so pretty. maybe there is a gold one in my pics, showing this. hth . for tylose glue, i make mine sorta thick. again , i dont put my loops together with the glue. i just glue the strips , when i make the loops. i use fondant/g/p mixture or strickly g/p when i make any kind of bow.

sberryp Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i put my loopy bows together , using r/i or melted chocolate. i make a disk first. when all is dry , i lay the disk on a 6" circle, pipe some r/i or choc. , thenadd first row of loops. let that set up just a min. or two. then, add second row, etc. then add the tails that i have made in advance also. i dry the tail on crunched up foil. makes them looks so pretty. maybe there is a gold one in my pics, showing this. hth . for tylose glue, i make mine sorta thick. again , i dont put my loops together with the glue. i just glue the strips , when i make the loops. i use fondant/g/p mixture or strickly g/p when i make any kind of bow.

Thanks, I know now. So use melted chocalate or royal icing when putting bows together? Does it have to be baking chocolate?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 10

No, you probably don't want bakers chocolate. I use the Wilton candy melts in a coordinating color with the bow, or color the white melts to match. Works well, and makes removing the bow for cutting much easier.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

No I do not add water to the tylose in the fondant. I add water to tylose to make the glue to hold the bow together. I use the combination of water and glue all the time for glue.

Ah, now I understand; I thought you meant you added water to the tylose before adding to the fondant. My bad! Love the suggestion to use r/i or chocolate melts, that works great too of course thumbs_up.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%