Clean Cake Boards

Decorating By sberryp Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm by -Tubbs

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 20

Sorry if this seems like a stupid quesdtion, but I am new to baking. How do you keep your cake board from getting dirty while icing the cake? I tried putting the cake on a new board, is this all I need to do or is there an easier way to do this? I just thought that you only use on cake board per cake, but here lately I have been using 2. Thanks in advance for your help.

19 replies
BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 20

If I'm using a board that extends beyond the bottom of the cake (as in, it's not a stacked tier), I generally just wipe off the icing that gets on there before it has time to set.

Those base cake boards are always covered with some sort of foil or something which wipes off easily for a clean finish.

sweetcheekscakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheekscakery Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 20

Are you covering you cake board with anything? You can buy board cover (comes in a long roll like aluminum foil) in various colors. You can get icing all over the board if you want and it wipes right off. I buy it at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Some Wal-Marts have it too.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 20

I cover all my boards in freezer paper (shiny side up), any icing wipes right off without leaving any residue.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 20

Just wipe off the icing as soon as it hits the board....be careful of the foil covers, as they tear easy, gently gently scoop off and just wipe with a clean cloth. I don't use a damp cloth because it can cause the paper dollie to wrinkle....

I have seen where you can put pieces of waxed paper under the cake edge and when done icing just pul them out...!!! Might work. I seemed to pull some of the icing from the cake off too. Just take your time, patience and practice helps.......and Welcome to CC....I see you are fairly new here.....

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 20

Most of the time I cut a cake board that is the exact size of my cake. then I set the cake and board on top of something smaller.

of course, I need to start paying attention to my boards. even with doing this, the final board ends up with something on it. and I dont always want a shiney 'foil' surface for my cake to sit on. I think I am going to start putting a fondant strip, or such ON the board about 2 inches out from the cake. anything to make it more attractive, because with my icing and cakes the boards always have a 'grease' ring... icon_sad.gif even if I dont get icing ON the final board.

terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 20

I did a cake on regular board doilie.....didn't look finished and so I covered the edges with fondant......what a difference in the look of the cake.....when at all possible I cover with fondant. Foil tears when cutting and you are right the grease from the icing sometimes bleeds.....
LL

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

I did a cake on regular board doilie.....didn't look finished and so I covered the edges with fondant......what a difference in the look of the cake.....when at all possible I cover with fondant. Foil tears when cutting and you are right the grease from the icing sometimes bleeds.....

Terrylee- That cake is awesome!! I love it!

terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks Thanksharla......

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 20

I was also wondering if sometimes you could use gift wrap to cover the cake board? I see a few cakes that have a patterned cake board that looks like it could be gift wrap. Here's an example.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1655892

terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 20

That look like an oil cloth....I did that for a watermellon cake....but you can use gift wrap, just cover it the a clear contact. The paper doesn't hold up well and moisture is it worst enemy....

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 20

I had that problem when I started out, too. I played around with different options until I found one that worked for me - I hated ruining my cake board by having icing all over it or tearing it when I was trying to clean it.

I put my cake on a cake board of the same size and use a single small strip of double-side sticky tape to secure it to a larger board covered in contact paper. Once I've finished icing, covering the cake with fondant (if using fondant) and decorating it, I remove it from the contact paper covered board and move it to the main board and have several strips of double-side sticky tape already in place to secure it.

I then finish with a border or anything else I was worried about getting damaged in the transfer process.

sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

I cover all my boards in freezer paper (shiny side up), any icing wipes right off without leaving any residue.

I wasn't covering my boards! I am such a newbie~ I would wipe it off and it would leave a mark or I would try to change the board, but be scared that I will mess up the cake. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

Most of the time I cut a cake board that is the exact size of my cake. then I set the cake and board on top of something smaller.

of course, I need to start paying attention to my boards. even with doing this, the final board ends up with something on it. and I dont always want a shiney 'foil' surface for my cake to sit on. I think I am going to start putting a fondant strip, or such ON the board about 2 inches out from the cake. anything to make it more attractive, because with my icing and cakes the boards always have a 'grease' ring... icon_sad.gif even if I dont get icing ON the final board.

Me too! I was like what am I doing wrong? lol

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 20

I just started covering my cake boards too. icon_redface.gif I used a disposable table cloth. They're cheap and come in any color you want!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 20

Wow! Thanks Terrylee. I will definitely invest in some contact paper. I always wondered how you could have patterned paper but without the grease stains. Thank you everyone.

sberryp Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoboys

I just started covering my cake boards too. icon_redface.gif I used a disposable table cloth. They're cheap and come in any color you want!

That's a great suggestion!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #18 of 20

Florist foil doesn't tear. Remember to have your cake on its own cardboard circle before you place in on your base because clear contact paper and some colored foils aren't food safe.

sberryp Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

I have seen where you can put pieces of waxed paper under the cake edge and when done icing just pul them out...!!! Might work. I seemed to pull some of the icing from the cake off too. Just take your time, patience and practice helps.....

I do this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%