Sugarshack's Buttercream Recipe

Baking By shearpamela Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 4:12am by mbark

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 13

I have French Vanilla liquid creamer and also the powdered plain creamer, but I would prefer to use the flavored liquid.
Will this change the refrigeration needs or ruin my recipe?

12 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 13

No . You're not planning on adding the wedding bouquet with it are you?

shearpamela Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 13

I don't have the Creme Bouquet but do have clear vanilla I was planning to use...
You don't recommend it? Maybe the creamer will have enough flavor on its own.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 13

I made a test batch of French Vanilla Butter cream by using only french vanilla liquid creamer as my liquid instead of the heavy whipping cream that I normally use. I omitted all other flavorings. It made the BEST icing I've ever had. For some reason, it was not sweet at all..I could've ate it like a bowl of cereal! It flavored it heavily with a french vanilla taste, but that is what I was going after.

I only used about 5-6 T. of the cream. It will not affect ther refrigeration issue of it.

shearpamela Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 13

Awesome! I will proceed then and post my results shortly icon_smile.gif
Very vanilla is what I am going for as well.....
Thank you!

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 13

Shearpamela~I'm sure this is too late for this but for future referrence, I've read that the sugar in the icing somehow keeps the milk from spoilage, so you don't need to refrigerate. I know there are some places on CC that talk about it, I just don't know where to find them...sorry!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 13

P.S.....I think I added a couple teaspoons of french vanilla extract. I was so excited when I found this extract, I wanted to use it.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkallred

Shearpamela~I'm sure this is too late for this but for future referrence, I've read that the sugar in the icing somehow keeps the milk from spoilage, so you don't need to refrigerate. I know there are some places on CC that talk about it, I just don't know where to find them...sorry!

Also the coffee creamers are dairy-free anyway thumbs_up.gif

shearpamela Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 13

Well I have a problem now - tons of bubbles in my buttercream!
I have made this recipe before and it was beautiful - this time it looks like a disaster.
I used 5 cups hi ratio shortening and 5 lbs. powdered sugar. Plus 4 tablespoons of extract total. 2/3 cup liquid creamer heated one minute in the microwave...
I followed the recipe and let this mix 7 minutes the first time and had tons of bubbles so I let my mixer cool down and did another 5 minutes - still has the bubbles.
Is it ruined or can it be saved?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 13

Try putting your mixer on the lowest setting (stir for a KA) for about 5 minutes), also make sure you scrap all the way down the sides first.

shearpamela Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 13

Ok I will try that - I just got off work and need to focus on my cupcakes now, not the buttercream! I sure hope it works...
Thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 13

Take it off of the mixer, and mix it by hand, slowly. The bubbles appear when you whip too vigorously and incorporate air into your mixture ... if you added a little more liquid than usual, that may be the reason. Mixing gently by hand should eliminate any bubbles. HTH!!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #13 of 13

In my last 2 icing batches I was also having problems with bubbles that I normally don't get when mixing the Sugarshack BC recipe, the only difference was that I used Wedding Bouquet instead of my normal vanilla/butter flavor/almond mixture. So weird! The flavor of Wedding Bouquet didn't impress me anyway so I'll stick with my original version. Just wondering why it would have changed it, I know Sharon loves Wedding Bouquet & she gets her icing super smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%