What Is The Norm For Wedding Cake Tiers?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 11:20am by Texas_Rose

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:56am
post #1 of 3

I'm hoping you experienced bakers can help me. I'm getting married in December and I'm making my own cake. It's for less than 100 people so it will be relatively small in size. I am planning on using SPS for stacking, and I will have plenty of stacking practice this summer with cakes I have been asked to do for family and friends.

My question is, what is the "standard" for the number of layers in one tier? In the past, I have only done two layers with one layer of filling. I think this is because a) I only have two cake pans of one size, and b) the Wilton leveler I have blows. I think torting would be a scary thing with that leveler. Speaking of levelers, does anyone have experience with the Fat Daddios leveler? I know Agbay is the cream of the crop, but truthfully I don't do a ton of cakes and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a leveler right now. I did purchase a set of Magic Line pans which I am excited about using.

I feel like my tiers should be 3 layers, because that's always what I've seen in wedding cakes. Just wanted to get your opinions!

Thanks in advance,
Annie

2 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:06am
post #2 of 3

My standard is usually two tiers when I use only buttercream frosting. However, I don't like to torte (because I don't like trying to cut them - and I don't have an Agbay eiter) so if I want three tiers, I use the same amount of batter but divide it into three pans. Purchasing extra pans in the sizes you need seems like a better investment to me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:20am
post #3 of 3

There are two wilton levelers...the small one with the wire works pretty well and it only costs about $3, so if you might try it if you don't have it yet.

If three layers per tier is what feels like a wedding cake to you, then that's what you should have. Instead of buying extra pans, you can always bake several different sizes at once...for example, I'll bake two 8" and one 6" at the same time, then do another 8" and two 6" in the next batch. I only put cakes on one shelf in the oven, so I have to do multiple baking batches anyhow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%