How Many Cups Of Hi Ratio To Equal

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 7:06pm by nickshalfpint

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:48am
post #1 of 10

I bought Hi Ratio shortening in a large quantity, can you tell me how many cups of shortening are in a pound? I am trying to get 3 pounds of shortening. I was trying to do this by the cup versus having to weigh.

Thank you

9 replies
Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:54am
post #2 of 10

OK...I was still searching after I posted...everything I can find refers to about 2 cups per pound. I did see one answer that said 2 1/3 cup per pount. I will go with 2 cups per pound.

Thanks for your help.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:01am
post #3 of 10

Yes a cup = 8oz and and 2 cupcs =16ozs which is a pound. So 3 pounds is 6 cups of shortening if my mind is working right this morning. Good luck with baking I love the high ratio!!!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 10

2 cups of Sweetex Hi Ratio shortening weighs 14 oz.

Rae

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 10

Everything I have read indicates that 1 cup of shortening weighs 6.7 oz.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 10

Some of you are mixing up volume with weight. Volume would use measuring cups and spoons. Weight uses a scale. One pound of shortening equals two and a third cups.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Yes a cup = 8oz and and 2 cupcs =16ozs which is a pound.

But, it depends on if you mean 8 ounces by volume or by weight. 1 cup of feathers doesn't weigh 8 ounces

2 cups (by volume) of shortening don't weigh 16 ounces.

We in the US tend to be refering to volume measurements in baking recipes. If you convert recipes to weight measurements, you can't convert every cup to 8 ounces of weight. You have to weigh each cup of water, milk, flour, sugar, etc. and they'll all be slightly different in what those cups weigh.

Rae

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Some of you are mixing up volume with weight. Volume would use measuring cups and spoons. Weight uses a scale. One pound of shortening equals two and a third cups.

No, she just needs to know how many cups in a pound of shortening. If you know how many ounces (by weight) are in a cup of shortening, you can then figure out how many cups are in a pound, kwim?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 10

2 1/3 cups equals 1 lb of shortening. If you have a 1 lb pkg of Crisco at home take a look at the measurement scale. HI ratio should measure the same as Crisco

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 10

1 cup of shortening is 7 ounces. Just weighed it (= I was wondering the same thing and I ran across this post......Just thought I'd share (=

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%