Elmo/spiderman Red - Fail Every Time

Decorating By traceym Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 11:34am by Karen421

traceym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceym Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 7

I swear Elmo/Spiderman red is my arch-nemesis! I can never get my buttercreme to look super super red. What are your secrets? I have tried Wilton colors, Americolor, super red, no taste red, red with a drop of black, hot pink then red....nothing works! icon_cry.gif Help please!

6 replies
silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #2 of 7

I add a little cocoa powder to my buttercream. It cuts down on the bright white, and seems to work for me.

mindydaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindydaile Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

I had a run of cakes that all needed that super red-red color and I broke down and bought a five pound tub from Sam's. Saved me a lot of frustration!

traceym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceym Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 7

Ah, I didn't know Sam's sold the colored buttercreme. Hmmmm, good to know!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #5 of 7

I saw red buttercream at Walmart the other day. It was Wilton's, and I haven't tried it - so I don't know if it is any good. But it was red!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:10am
post #6 of 7

I make red all the time. I use Wilton's coloring since it's what is sold at my cake shop.

I start with making my icing pink using rose pink. I use the no-taste red mainly (usually the whole jar). I then add red-red to it. It will not be a deep red when you first make it. I make this the day before I need it, and it darkens as it sits.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:34am
post #7 of 7

I had this same question about a month ago - except with fondant - someone suggested using wilton candy colors, for coloring candy melts. I didn't try it b/c I didn't could not find any locally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%