Red Velvet Victory !!!!!

Decorating By momma28 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 5:12am by carmijok

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 21

Ok, in my previous posts I have said that I am not a fan of red velvet cake so it is not on the list of flavors I offer. Had a bride insist, so I caved.

This morning, making the rose levy beranbaum version made me doubt my baking abilities (20 years, have won baking contests and customers rave so normally I am quite confident). It bombed in a big way.

Just made the Magnolia bakery recipe.....PERFECTION! I still don't love red velvet but this cake's really good. Texture is perfect, no oil in the recipe (dont love oil based recipes), visually beautiful in color even though I used have the food coloring they called for.

It was a eureka moment I figured I would share icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 21

No fair ! you can't tease us by saying you used a certain recipe that turned out great and then not share it ! icon_lol.gif

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #3 of 21

I am not crazy about red velvet, and I am getting ready to bake a couple for taste test with in my family... one of then would be Rose's .. can you share ?? Please

Anna

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 21

Congratulations!

momma28 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #5 of 21

omgoodness I am so sorry icon_smile.gif I shared it in a previous posting when I said I was going to try it.

Here it is:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Red-Velvet-Cupcakes-with-Creamy-Vanilla-Icing-241544

There is even a video of the owner of magnolia bakery making the recipe. I was happy to see that she didnt fold in the vinegar and baking soda mix (thought that was tedious) When I was putting it together I just didnt think it was going to come out because the amount of baking soda was really small in comparison to other recipes with similar flour and butter amounts but VOILA!!!!! It is beautiful. Hope it works out for you as well as it did for me.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 21

mmm I love red velvet with cream cheese frosting LOL

I am just wondering bc the red coloring seems too little to me and the cocoa poweder a bit much. how bright red did the cake come out? I have tried 3 different recipes and all came out burgundy icon_sad.gif

sara

momma28 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:20am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

mmm I love red velvet with cream cheese frosting LOL

I am just wondering bc the red coloring seems too little to me and the cocoa poweder a bit much. how bright red did the cake come out? I have tried 3 different recipes and all came out burgundy icon_sad.gif

sara

I actually used half the red food coloring and it was BRIGHT, DEEP red. The cocoa was perfect. My bride said her favorite red velvet was from magnolia so when I looked it up and saw it used all butter i knew I had to try it. Some recipes call for 1/2 cup cocoa, some 1 tsp. For me (and my bride) the in between was perfect. HTH

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 21

I have one question. It calls for Cider Vinegar, is that the same as Apple Cider Vinegar?

Also, in recipes that I have used in the past, I added in coffee as one of the ingredients. Have you ever used this in Red Velvet? Sorry, I guess that is two questions.

How did you find the YouTube video? OOPS, Three questions. icon_biggrin.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 21

personally i don't understand the fascination with red velvet! it's ok, but if i'm going to eat cake i would rather have a variety of other flavors before red velvet =) and it doesn't seem worth the hassle to me...

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 21

but congrats on your victory!

momma28 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

personally i don't understand the fascination with red velvet! it's ok, but if i'm going to eat cake i would rather have a variety of other flavors before red velvet =) and it doesn't seem worth the hassle to me...

I couldnt agree more. I would rather have just about any other cake but this bride was insistant that one of the tiers had to be velvet for her family. I agreed (after trying to talk her out of it) so I had to make it work. I am glad I was able to, it still wont go on my list of regularly offered flavors icon_smile.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 21

I made cakeman raven's recipe yesterday and it was by far the best I have tried, but making one without oil is definitely interesting to me. I was having the same conversation tho about what all the fuss was about with red velvet cake. I think it is ok, but there are many more flavors I would choose first. Is it just because people think it is a bit deal that they go so crazy for it?

Congrats on having RV success too!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 21

I am on a quest! Tried 2 recipes which weren't amazing...hope this one does it for me. Love that they use Butter Roux icing..that stuff is yummy with RV!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 21

Have to agree with you both. I don't understand what the hoopla is all about. Not even sure what flavor I am supposed to be getting. I think it looks pretty though.

but can some one tell me what I should be tasting??? Sorry for sounding dumb.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 21

I love red velvet cake! I am not sure what it is, but when that first bite hits my tongue, I just go into a state of nirvana. One thing I will say though- it HAS to be done right (according to the taste you got used to as a kid maybe?). A dry Red Velvet is the worst taste!! I grew up attending a small country church and those Ladies Willing Workers group could cook the pants off anybody in the country icon_biggrin.gif . They made red velvets to sell for fundraisers and they sold them by the dozens when "red velvet time" came.

Congrats on your success.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks for posting the recipe.

pinkpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpeach Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #17 of 21

Thanks for sharing! I'm trying to find a good red velvet recipe for clients because it's such a trend now. I'll look at this one first. Personally, I love red velvet but never make it for myself because it's a little bit of a hassle. But I'm happy to make it for a paying customer! icon_smile.gif

pinkpeach Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #18 of 21

btw, hvanaalst is the cake man recipe available in a book or online?

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #19 of 21

There was a post yesterday with cakemanraven's red velvet recipe.

pinkpeach Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:33am
post #20 of 21

Got it. Thanks!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:12am
post #21 of 21

There's just something about a good red velvet cake. There's no distinct flavor...yet you know it's a red velvet when you taste it. The best ones to me taste similar to a rich butter cake with a tiny bit of tang to it. It's probably the touch of vinegar that brings that out. Couple that with a cream cheese frosting and..oh man! Red Velvet heaven! On the flip side, I've had red velvets that had no flavor at all...or had definite chocolate overtones. Not my favorites. And for years that's what I thought red velvet was so I wasn't impressed. But boy, once you taste a good one, then you'll know what the fuss is about! So congrats on finding one! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%