Help, Please! How Can I Possibly Do This?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm by Hollandy

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 26

I offered to do the 8th-grade graduation cake for a little church friend. I planned to just make an easy, funky cake. Well, this morning, her mother e-mailed me the photo below, saying that Molly saw this and would love her cake to look like it! What does she think I am, the Ace of Cakes???????

I'm not a pro, just a hobby baker, and I've never done a carved cake -- plus, I only work with BC, not fondant.

Any suggestions on how I can do a cake that will even hint at this theme?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!
LL

25 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 26

sheet cake w/ a big ol' fbct of that dog??

Don't you just love people that have no clue how hard stuff is?

What about doing a 2-d carved sheet cake of the dog? like the dog on its side and flat.......would still look like the theme.

(I'm thinking if you pulled off that gorgeous purse cake, you could certainly pull off this dog................might be time to pull out the fondant and give it a go! You never know, you may just find it easier to work with)

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 26

I would make your regular cake then make a pink dog out of fondant to put on top of the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 26

You could do a simple cut out cake in the shape of the dog, rather than doing a full on 3d carved cake. Or you could even draw the dog on a sheet cake. There are several ways you could incorporate this theme without having to go over the top. I know how you feel, though. People always seem to expect miracles, don't they? Good luck and be sure to post pics!

JGMB Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

What about doing a 2-d carved sheet cake of the dog? like the dog on its side and flat.......would still look like the theme.

This occurred to me, but then I had no idea how to do the mortarboard -- it would have to be sticking up off of the cake, right? icon_cry.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 26

Make the mortarboard like it is flat on the cake - you would see the top primarily.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 26

I would probably just incorporate the design/theme into what you had already planned. Add a silver hat, some dog bones, pink overkill icon_smile.gif...

If you're gifting the cake, then the design is really more of your choice. It's a gift. icon_smile.gif

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:31am
post #8 of 26

You probably wouldn't want to try to make it silver, but the mortarboard on a 2D dog is easy enough -- just use a big square of chocolate, or a graham cracker coated with chocolate or frosting. Lay it on top of the dog's head so that it rests at an angle. Lowest corner against the cakeboard, uppermost corner sticking up above the cake. Glue it in place with an extra blob of buttercream underneath.

Tassle could be piped or fondant or even a non-edible tassle (JoAnn would have something in the notions aisle).

Also do the feathery stuff on the ankles really big -- maybe you could use cotton candy or something like that? -- and you'd have a few nice "3Dish" effects on what is really just a simple 2D shape cake.

JGMB Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #9 of 26

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice! I will do this somehow -- at first, I just wanted to cry and tell her to forget it, but then I decided I'm not a quitter and I'll give it a try! I appreciate all of your input. icon_razz.gif

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 26

I like the sheet cake idea with the dog either made out of gumpaste or RKT.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 26

I saw a tutorial on here somewhere of a 3D dog laying down. And it looked really easy.

JGMB Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #12 of 26

I thought I'd let you know that I did it!!! It's not perfect by any means, but I hope she likes it. Thanks for all of your great suggestions and for letting me think I could do it. icon_lol.gif Here it is -- oh, and I realized afterward that I had forgotten to do the wispy stuff around the legs, so I'm just not going to worry about it.
LL

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 26

Talk about rising to the challenge. Great job!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:06pm
post #14 of 26

Very cute!

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 26

Thats the way to take the bull by the horns Nice Job thumbs_up.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 26

Nicely incorporated.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #17 of 26

I think you did a fantastic job of incorporating their wishes. Pat yourself on the back, have a cup of coffee and revel in your new found talent.

I love the attitude - "I am not a quitter". Your rose to the challenge perfectly!

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 26

wow it came out great...congrats

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #19 of 26

Great compromise. You pulled off the request like a dream. In the future, remember the people on here who are able to say - free cake, my design. I know you would say it much more tactfully like, 'the cake is a gift & I have a design in mind but can probably incorporate some of those elements into the design in my head'.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #20 of 26

Hurrah for you! Outstanding job of doing what the young lady wanted. I'm in my 4th Wilton course and told my family "I could totally do all those cakes!" [in the pictures of cakes] "Of course, it would probably take 4 days to three weeks and I'd cry a lot, but I could do them..."

Well, YOU DID IT! I'll bet she was thrilled!

JGMB Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #21 of 26

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the girl's face when they picked it up (I had a mandatory church thing), but her mom e-mailed me, saying that they LOVED it and that it was delicious. I was so happy!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #22 of 26

Fantastic job!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #23 of 26

I love a happy ending and I love your little pink doggie!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #24 of 26

awesome! I love how you did it, totally looked like the picture but very do-able so you didn't totally stress about a 3d cake

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #25 of 26

Awesome job! It's very cute! I must saw you definitely rose to the challenge!

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #26 of 26

you did a great job and I am so glad the girl liked it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%