Starting Out Making Fondant Toppers

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 10:55am by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I'd like to try making some fondant toppers for my cupcakes. I've ordered a sample pack of fondant from Fondarific just to see if I can do it.

What other basic tools do I need? I don't want to go too crazy.
I'd like to make some small decorations and maybe do some embossing or stamp a letter for a monogram.

So, what's the best way to get started?

Thanks! Maria

5 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6

Basics: Small fondant roller, exacto knife, cutters & embossers of your choice. If you are planning on modeling small figures for the cupcakes, a ball tool and veining tool are extremely useful.

MariaK38 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 6

thanks! one more question... some websites say to use corn starch when rolling and cutting out the fondant, some say to use powdered sugar. which do you find works better? do you brush it off after with a pastry brush?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

When I first started modeling I used powdered sugar, but now I perfer cornstarch. It just takes a tiny bit dusted on your board. Too much will dry out your fondant. I use the toe part of a white panty hose to put cornstarch in and tie the top. It works great for dusting the board.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:41am
post #5 of 6

If you have a rolling pin and some small cookie cutters already, you can get started with cutouts.

For figure modeling, all you REALLY need to start is your hands icon_smile.gif and maybe the occasional bamboo skewer to poke holes or dimples. But yes, for certain things a ball tool and other shaping tools is very handy. I recently bought what I consider a very nice starter set with three double-ended tools for $10 -- much better for initial experimenting than the $30 Wilton set that was all I could find as a "basic" kit in the cake/candy aisle of the local stores! The trick? I went over to the aisle where they sell the Fimo and Sculpey clay. It's the same tools really.

I've always used powdered sugar and find it works very well. But mostly I prefer it because I have it around in larger quantities. icon_smile.gif Nothing special or extra to buy, set up or store. Excess sugar can be brushed off with a pastry brush or, if it's only a spot or two, with your finger. Or, apparently, you can "steam" the fondant which gets rid of excess sugar and gives a bit of shine or luster to it, but I have yet to try that.

MariaK38 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:55am
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone! I can't wait to get started!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%