Newbie Store-Front People Please.

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm by Christy0722

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 8

anyone else in the beginning phases of opening a store front? I should be in my shop mid-june, but would love the support of people at the same stage (or any stage really). I'm buying most of my equipment this week, and finalizing my menu now. SO much to do. I feel like I work 24/7 and I'm not even open yet! Orders pouring in though, so that is cool!

7 replies
Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 8

It's sooo ironic! I just got my LLC, tax ID numbers, working on menu/recipes now, have just found my building and have over half of my equipment. It's probably gonna take a few more months to get everything straight. The owner of the building is re-doing the inside right now. He said he would do a "build to suit" for me if I decided to go with this particular store. We don't have a bakery in town, other than the chain stores so I feel like we will do pretty good.

Even more ironic......we have the same name!! Good Luck and keep us posted!!

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 8

whoa, same name and same situation. also, having my place re-done inside. said he would build to suit. no bakery in town or even in nearby towns (minus one woman that does it out of another business, but is swarming with bad press). small town here, and everyone is SO excited to have me open. where are you located (feel free to PM that part, if you want!)

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 8

I just opened my shop one month ago today. It is a lot of work, but I love it. If you have any questions in particular I may be able to answer some of them. Just PM me. Good luck to you.

Joanne usaribbon.gif
Joanne's Creative Cakes

Cake-O-Rate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-O-Rate Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 8

Congratulations on you new businesses all..

I opened my first store front over 20 years ago so things have changed a bit since then.

What an exciting yet wonderfully exhausting time.

My best advise on starting out is to ADVERTISE like crazy...

Keep your orders from your vendors balanced and embrace suggestions from your sales reps if they have been in the business for a while.

If you have any questions at all let me know and I will do my best to give you my knowledge on what worked for me and how to avoid some of the pitfalls. They WILL come up from time to time.

So excited for you!

Much Success and Joy To You icon_biggrin.gif

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 8

Those of you that have store fronts or are opening your store fronts...what equipment do you have and are you getting?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

Those of you that have store fronts or are opening your store fronts...what equipment do you have and are you getting?

I already had the oven and mixer and lots of tables and all the smallwares, so I just went with a reach in freezer, and a walk in cooler and put in a new sink (triple) We were required to put in a hood, which was the most expensive part of the venture! We already had a grease trap (which will be required as well) And a bakery case. I hit some auctions and found some pretty good deals! and Web Restaurant! LOVE that place!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 8

For those of you who were inspected by the Dept. of Ag, what exactly were the inspectors looking for? What types of equipment? set up? I have 3/4 of mine but i'm still shopping for an oven and a few work tables. The building inspector came by the other day when the owner and I were there. Just so happened he is a friend of mine who owes me a few favors. He walked in and did a quick look to make sure nothing major was needing repair. I really got a good laugh when he looked at the owner of the building and told him "You'd better take good care of her!".
I've been researching for about 3 years but any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%