My Turn! First Wedding Cake... Starting To Freak Out!

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm by kitty122000

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

OK so I am doing my first wedding cake this week. It sof r a friend and I am goign to have to drive it 4 hours to the wedding. I have arrangements with the staff at the hotel to allow me to use some kitchen space for up to a couple of hours if I need it.
I'm really nervous about putting the fondant on before I go and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is a good idea to put the fondant on when I get there. The last cake I travelled that far with ended up settling a lot in the car and the bottom edges were all messed up. so, should I put the fondant on before or after the drive up? and if I wait until after, should I fill and crumb coat before I leave?

Also, this cake will have gumpaste calla lilies, which I have finished making, but I'm not sure of the best way to pack them up to take them with me. any help, suggestions, words of encouragement, are all appreciated!

8 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 9

I guess it is all according to how much time they will give you there in the kitchen.. If it is a lot, then you may feel more comfortable bringing them and applying the fondant.. I would definitely fill and crumb coat beforehand though.. You dont want to be stuck and run out of time....HTH

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

Can you incorporate a base border to apply at the last minute to disguise any settling problems? Fondant ribbon, real ribbon, fondant balls or rope, or a piped on BC border would all hide problems with the edges.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

I would cover the cakes before hand. I don't know how complicated the decoration is, but you do need to leave time for all the additional decorating that's being done.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 9

For one thing it would depend on where I live. I live on the West coast so we don't have the heat and humidity that you would have say in Florida. Another thing are you fast at covering cakes with fondant? If so then maybe you would want to wait if not I would do it at home. You need to make sure you have time to put on all of your decorations when you arrive at your destination. I will be making my brothers wedding cake on Friday for the party on Saturday. I am always worried about something going wrong so I like to give myself plenty of time especially when it's a wedding. I know some people here don't chill their cakes but for me it's a must. It helps firm everything up and makes it safer for cake delivery. When you use fondant it holds in the moisture anyways. Just make sure to keep the cakes out of the sun if you are placing them in the back of your car. You could frost and cover with fondant and wait to apply any borders or decorations. This way if the cake settles just smooth and cut off the excess fondant add your border and nobody will know the difference. Do you crumb coat and let them sit overnight is so most of the settling is already taken place. Good luck.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

. Do you crumb coat and let them sit overnight is so most of the settling is already taken place. Good luck.

I was wondering the same thing. You said your cakes "seem to settle". Cakes settle. That's why it's important that they're allowed to do so BEFORE crumbcoating and covering with fondant. If cakes aren't given time to settle BEFORE covering with fondant you have problems like you mentioned and usually a buldge to go along with it.

I certainly wouldn't wait to cover with fondant. I would cover and decorate as much as possible before leaving with the cakes. Two hours really isn't that much time.

kitty122000 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I was wondering the same thing. You said your cakes "seem to settle". Cakes settle. That's why it's important that they're allowed to do so BEFORE crumbcoating and covering with fondant. If cakes aren't given time to settle BEFORE covering with fondant you have problems like you mentioned and usually a buldge to go along with it.

so I should dam and fill, let it sit overnight, crumb coat, allow to crust, then cover with fondant. Right? If this is correct, my problem in the past was to fill and crumb coat then allow time to settle before putting on the fondant.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 9

[quote="kitty122000"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

so I should dam and fill, let it sit overnight, crumb coat, allow to crust, then cover with fondant. Right?

Yes. That's what works for me anyway.

kitty122000 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 9

I managed to get it done and am very happy with how it turned out. I uploaded a picture in my photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%