Gluten-Free Gumpaste?

Decorating By dc_honeybee Updated 8 Jul 2014 , 9:02pm by MsGF

dc_honeybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dc_honeybee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all-
I am making a cake for a good friend with celiacs. I think I'm ok on the gluten-free cake and icing, but I still have some decorating concerns.

I read that Wilton Fondant is gluten-free and that I should NOT use Satin Ice. However, I am curious about gumpaste and adding gum trag because in the summer heat I'd like to give the flowers and decorations a little more hardness.

Does anyone know?

5 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 6

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/product.htm

Here is the page from their website where it lists their products (both fondant and gumpaste) - and says gluten-free under the "about the products" section. When you click on the link above that, though, it gives the nutritional information on the fondant, but not the gumpaste.

I just looked at the ingredient list on my satin ice gumpaste container and there are not any gluten containing ingredients, except potentially the artificial flavoring. If I were you, I'd call their toll-free number just to ask to be certain.

I'm having to eat gluten-free right now and I know if it were for me receiving the cake, I'd appreciate knowing that a call was put in to the company just to be sure.

Hope that helps.

dc_honeybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dc_honeybee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

Oh- that's great. I read ona bunch of gluten-free message boards that Satin Ice would not confirm their products to be gluten-free or that they were processed seperately from gluten-free products. So I am glad to see that they have it posted officially on the web site.

I will give them a call to double check.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

just use the wilton gumpaste then, that is gluten free just like there fondant is

karenvan2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenvan2 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

The Wilton gum paste mix I just bought contians no gluten but is processed in a facility that also process blahblah blah. I'd use it anyway for myself (celiac) but my sister is a fanatic and won't even touch the container.

BTE, the Wilton's new Decorator fondant contains wheat flour.

I guess the best plan is just to make our own. Fortunately, it's not difficult and is a lot more economical.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

I have Celiac Disease and I always use Satin Ice Fondant & Gum Paste.

Satin Ice is Gluten-Free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%