Need Advice On Tools For Quilt And Letters

Decorating By odish Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm by ImMissWorld

odish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odish Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I am new to cake decorating and absolutely loving it. I find the forums so informative and am amazed how generous people are with their advice and sharing their experience and knowledge. Thank you all as it is a great "leg up" to get started. On that note....

I saw on Cake Boss the other night that he used a little hand-held wheely tool to create a quilt effect criss crossing on the fondant. Then he added tiny silver beads where they crossed. It looked beautiful - does anyone know what this tool is called?

Also I have been using Jem Alphabet cutters for text on the cake. I love the font and the height of the letters more than piping the text myself. But boy they are difficult to use -when I checked on CC forums everyone else seemd to think so too . Are there any alphabet sets with ejectors that are recommended?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
nikinoonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinoonie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure about the letters, but the quilting tool I use is the Wilton tool that has three different wheels (a cutter, a perforator for a quilted look, and a wavy cutter). I use the perforator along with a triangle to make the quilted lines in BC or fondant. i found it at Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure any cake supply place would have it. I recommend a flexible triangle or creating one out of a piece of stencil plastic that you can buy at hobby Lobby or Michaels. I just made a mark one inch from the corner, and used that as a guide to make sure that all the lines were even. Since it's flexible, it's much easier to use on a round cake, too.
Good luck with the letters, maybe would have them. I saw that FMM brand cutters are on sale this week.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

The wilton tool is a fondant cutter and embosser. But you can also use a plastic fexible ruler just as easy. and it helps because you can use the ruler to measure the right distance between criss-cross. icon_biggrin.gif multi-purpose ruler.

I have used just cookie cutter letter, thats what I call them anyway, they sell them at hobby lobby.. make sure you lightly grease the inside of the cutter. It keeps the fondant from sticking to the metal. Nice clean cut letter that pop right out of the cutter.

Welcome to cake central. Prepare to become addicted.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by tesso

Welcome to cake central. Prepare to become addicted.

definitely second that!!! icon_lol.gif

ImMissWorld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ImMissWorld Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

Hey, i actually just joined this today. the tool is called a 'tracing wheel' and im assuming much cheaper than the Wilton tools icon_smile.gif let me know how you got on. im due to try it out for the first time on my mums birthday cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%