Fbct On Sides Of Round Cake??

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm by adamsmom

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 13

Anyone ever use this technique to stick frozen buttercream transfers on the sides of a round cake? Any luck?

12 replies
gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:31am
post #2 of 13

Anyone? icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:38am
post #3 of 13

I would e afraid to put one on the side...maybe I am wrong though

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #4 of 13

I think I've seen them, I don't see why it wouldn't work

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 13

I've done it - In my photos, you'll see a pink Dora cake with a palm tree on top (on page 2 - not the one with the stars on top). I did Dora and her friends as FBCT and I think (if I do say so myself) they turned out great!! A word to the wise....... Measure!!! I didn't keep in mind the height of my tiers, so I made my FBCT too tall. They towered over the tier and I wasn't sure what to do..... So I padded the back of some of the taller FBCT's with a bit of icing and it held up great! I travelled 1 hour with the cake and nothing slid or moved! The photo was taken at the party venue. Also keep in mind if you will be piping along the bottom, so you don't cover up your work. Go for it!

Come to think of it, my Nemo cake (also page 2) is FBCT on the sides as well. Hope this helps!

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 13

Question about FBCT? Once you freeze it and put it on your cake, how long can the cake sit out? Is it something that you have to worry about it changing shapes or colors as it thaws or is it good to go once you get it on your cake? I want to try one but don't know how far in advance I can do it. Would like to make it the day before just in case it doesn't go well.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 13

This is really useful information. Thanks!

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargen

Question about FBCT? Once you freeze it and put it on your cake, how long can the cake sit out? Is it something that you have to worry about it changing shapes or colors as it thaws or is it good to go once you get it on your cake? I want to try one but don't know how far in advance I can do it. Would like to make it the day before just in case it doesn't go well.

Hi Cargen,
Once you've placed it on your cake, you can leave it out as long as your cake! Remember, it's just icing, previously frozen. It shouldn't change shape or colour. Although, if you're using it on the sides of your cake, I would also caution not to make it too thick - any really thick, heavy icing placed on the side of your cake could potentially slide off! Hope this helps - give it a try, it's so easy you'll be hooked!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 13

I've done this too with no problems - Dallas Cowboys cake in my photos. If your FBCT is too big, it may crack as you put it on the round surface, but beacuse it's buttercream you can just seal the crack up by gently smoothing it with you finger dipped in powdered sugar or corn starch.
LL

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 13

Great info! Is there another posted topic that discusses how to do a FBCT? I'm interested in doing one for a groom's cake middle of June instead of using fondant.

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 13

Can't wait to try one guys...

adamsmom, I saw this website on a different post and was going to try it this way.
http://www.sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm
I too have not done one, but everyone on that post said they preferred this style. Hope that helps you a little.

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 13

That's the link I used when I learned how to do my first transfer!

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 13

That's really nice! I also found an instructional here on CC under the articles tab and just searched for "Frozen Butter Cream Transfer" and it came up. Thanks for the response!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%