Facebook Worked!

Lounge By jillmakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 4:21pm by JRAE33

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #61 of 133

and i'm sure everyone has thought about this already, but i highly recommend only legal bakeries (i'm referring to the home bakers out there) start a facebook page. i mean, really if you're not legal, you shouldn't be selling at all, let alone have a facebook page promoting what you can sell. i say this as a warning b/c my inspector said that he patrols websites (facebook) to find people that aren't registered/inspected. just a heads up icon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #62 of 133

I wasn't getting updates... so I had no idea this grew to 5 pages!!

I was just thrilled that someone referenced it.

I do enjoy facebook as it is a little faster than a full blown blog post, but I'll put important stuff in both places, like our recent construction.

I am actually going to go out there and add a new album. Please take a moment to "like" me, if you haven't already!

Also, for those with a business page, once you hit 25 "likes" you can get a vanity address of wwww.Facebook.com/IndyCakes instead of the one with all the numbers! Much easier to remember.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #63 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm still debating the Facebook thing. I have a Flickr page and a website, both of which I enjoy, but for some reason Facebook gives me hives! icon_lol.gif

i totally understand, as i felt like facebook seemed very intrusive when my friends (who were on it already) would talk about it. but with the business page, you choose how much info you want to put on there. for me, my facebook business page has way less info. than my website does...now i do have a link to my website on there, but you don't have to. just remember that you can make it as interactive and private as you'd like to icon_smile.gif

I appreciate that. I guess part of it is that it's now part of a standard background check (and EVERYONE must know EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY these days) icon_confused.gif and I've heard more than one horror story as a result. Same with Craigslist. In our area it seems almost every night on the news someone is getting robbed or assaulted from a Craigslist transaction, so it's jaded my thinking. icon_cool.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #64 of 133
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm still debating the Facebook thing. I have a Flickr page and a website, both of which I enjoy, but for some reason Facebook gives me hives! icon_lol.gif

i totally understand, as i felt like facebook seemed very intrusive when my friends (who were on it already) would talk about it. but with the business page, you choose how much info you want to put on there. for me, my facebook business page has way less info. than my website does...now i do have a link to my website on there, but you don't have to. just remember that you can make it as interactive and private as you'd like to icon_smile.gif

I appreciate that. I guess part of it is that it's now part of a standard background check (and EVERYONE must know EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY these days) icon_confused.gif and I've heard more than one horror story as a result. Same with Craigslist. In our area it seems almost every night on the news someone is getting robbed or assaulted from a Craigslist transaction, so it's jaded my thinking. icon_cool.gif

Actually, you can change your privacy settings on your personal page too. I make it so that no one but friends can see anything on my page. And I NEVER accept a friend request from someone I do not know. You can go even further, and put people into groups (ie, work, family, etc). And then you can specify that only certain groups be able to see certain photo albums or posts, etc.

MrsBowtiy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBowtiy Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #65 of 133

I just liked all of you ladies facebook pages...You all do some beautiful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #66 of 133

here is mine is anyone would like to fan me, I am going back thru the tread and fanning all you who posted.
www.facebook.com/pattycakesncookies.

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #67 of 133

oops, sorry it is www.facebook.com/pattycakesandcookies.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #68 of 133

I think I went through and liked everyone. You guys are so talented! I think it's great to show support for other cakers! icon_smile.gif

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #69 of 133

Facebook is awesome and works really well. I will be getting my business page up soon. I only have my personal page so far but it still works. Happy to see it is working for others as well.!

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #70 of 133

done, just went back thru this tread and "liked" everyone that posted their facebook page, hope you can do the same for me. There is so much great talent out there, thank goodness, none of you are near me, LOL

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #71 of 133

pattycakesnj I just liked your page. I like your name also.

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #72 of 133

thanks patticake with a "i". I just looked at your photos, your cakes are awesome

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #73 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

oops, sorry it is www.facebook.com/pattycakesandcookies.

Thanks Patty for becoming a fan. FYI...Your link under your info tab on your personal page still has the "cakesncookies" which doesn't work.

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #74 of 133

thanks Angela, I can't figure out how to change it to the correct link, any ideas?

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #75 of 133
Quote:

thanks patticake with a "i". I just looked at your photos, your cakes are awesome

Aww!! thanks. I am still practicing in hopes of being as good as most on here. Still have a way to go. My dd and I are planning on opening our business within the year.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #76 of 133
Quote:

thanks Angela, I can't figure out how to change it to the correct link, any ideas?

hmmm...try deleting it them copy the url from the fan page and paste it back into your contact info. I just checked and it is still has the "n" instead of "and" in there.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #77 of 133

I'm wondering if this is a US thing. You guys all seem to be doing so well from FB. I have had a page since last year and I have not had a single order from it.

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #78 of 133

I am so upset! I just saw where someone today who lives within an hour or so from us took our name and has started a facebook page! I am not even sure if it is a licensed business and don't know how it could be since we are an LLC with the name The Cake Barn. We have a website that someone is building for us right now also and it's not finished. When they started on it, the domain www.thecakebarn.com was not taken. I just typed that in and that person has also taken the domain, but all they have is a scanned copy of a business card on there. How can I find out if they are legal or if they can do that? I could literally barf right now! icon_sad.gif

BTW, I have liked everyones page and thank you so much for liking mine!

ksmith1012 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #79 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

I am so upset! I just saw where someone today who lives within an hour or so from us took our name and has started a facebook page! I am not even sure if it is a licensed business and don't know how it could be since we are an LLC with the name The Cake Barn. We have a website that someone is building for us right now also and it's not finished. When they started on it, the domain www.thecakebarn.com was not taken. I just typed that in and that person has also taken the domain, but all they have is a scanned copy of a business card on there. How can I find out if they are legal or if they can do that? I could literally barf right now! icon_sad.gif

I just saw your FB post. That stinks! So sorry to hear that! icon_sad.gif

Just an FYI, you can purchase/register your domain name before you even get a website up and running. This other party has already bought the domain? If so, I don't know what you'll be able to do about that. That's going to be tricky for your potential customers who may confuse you with this other person and go on their website. If they are using the same name as you then they are definitely not legal- since you are an LLC no one can use that name within the same state. Man- what a bummer. keep us updated! I would definitely just put a disclaimer on your website that you are not ---- so and so. We're here for you! thumbs_up.gif

Jaime3679 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #80 of 133

Thanks Kara. I am going to get to the bottom of this first thing tomorrow morning, if I can even sleep tonight. I am seriously thinking about getting a trademark for our name now. I thought we were so original with our name. icon_sad.gif

Jaime3679 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #81 of 133

Jillmakescakes: You said "Also, for those with a business page, once you hit 25 "likes" you can get a vanity address of wwww.Facebook.com/IndyCakes instead of the one with all the numbers! Much easier to remember."

How do I do this?

ksmith1012 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #82 of 133

"go to www.facebook.com/username once your page has 25 fans, make sure to click the link that says "Set a Username for your Pages" (Not the one that is at the top, which is for your personal profile), and then you can check the availability for your page after you have successfully achieved a total of 25 fans. "

That's what it said when I googled it. How sad is it that I just created my vanity url a couple months ago and I already forgot how to do it? lol

Jaime3679 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #83 of 133

thanks so much! I am doing it right now.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #84 of 133

ok so I post my cakes on my personal facebook page and I make a fan page do I have to re upload them or is there a way to copy them over? also
i only have a few friends so how would I go about growing my fan base for my fan page??

Jaime3679 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:29am
post #85 of 133

alleykat,

When you make a fanpage, you need to upload all of your pictures again. Once you have a fanpage made, you can click on suggest to friends under your profile picture of your fanpage and it will let you suggest it to all of your friends. Then you can ask your friends to suggest it to there friends by using the same tab under your fanpage profile picture. Before you know it, you have tons of fans.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:51am
post #86 of 133

what is the difference between a company page and a fan page?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #87 of 133
Quote:

and i'm sure everyone has thought about this already, but i highly recommend only legal bakeries (i'm referring to the home bakers out there) start a facebook page. i mean, really if you're not legal, you shouldn't be selling at all, let alone have a facebook page promoting what you can sell. i say this as a warning b/c my inspector said that he patrols websites (facebook) to find people that aren't registered/inspected. just a heads up icon_smile.gif

i don't "sell" my cakes, those i make cakes for reimburse me for cost of supplies only. those are the cakes i put on my page.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #88 of 133

Here is my FB page too! www.facebook.com/sweetescapesbakery. I will fan everyone as well! icon_smile.gif

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #89 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

There is a place on facebook where you can request to get the username you want if someone else has claimed it. Some guy with like 10 friends in south korea had my business name as his url/username and they changed it to my page in like a week.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #90 of 133

I had a private account for years and I was found after that I had to open a fan page a couple of months ago. Its been so great to meet people from all over the world.
here is mine.
http://www.facebook.com/tonedna?v=app_2309869772#!/pages/Design-Me-a-Cake/263955423295?ref=share

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%