Omg...i Love This Fondant!

Decorating By mslesuer Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 5:41pm by kcassano

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #61 of 92

I love Fondarific and use the Fondarific wedding white - and it is white, not a stark white, but not off-white. You can get samples of Fondarific.
Just be careful, because someone had a bad experience with it melting in the heat.

satiria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satiria Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #62 of 92

Thanks Karen. This Texas heat is definitely not cake-friendly. I think I'll end up just coloring my fondant (I'm such a wuss!). icon_razz.gif

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #63 of 92

I received my Fonderific samples today, and omg they are yummy. Besides the 4 free ones I ordered the Lemon and Cafe Mocha.

When I opened the container the Cafe Mocha was the dominant scent and you can smell it right away, I can just imagine this on a coffee flavored chocolate cake or tiramasu type cake.

The Lemon had a very predominant lemon taste. Perfect for a lemon cake. The are also colored the type of flavor. So I wonder if you can get the same flavor in different colors. Foe example lets say some one like the cafe mocha, but the cake was red?? Could you get the cafe mocha flavor premade in red?

I did not taste much diffence between the vanilla flavor and buttercream, but then again I still had the taste of the stronger flavors.

Would definetly try this on my next fondant cake.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #64 of 92

I bought some of Duff's fondant today and was surprised to find that it's hard. When I kneaded it, it became soft. Is this normal? I keep thinking how much like modeling cholcolate it is. I'm worried because I was going to teach kids to make ribbon roses with it, but I can't if it's hard.

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #65 of 92

I'm definitely going to have to try Duff's. Especially the Dk. Chocolate one. I love Tootsie Rolls.. Thank you all for sharing.

Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:16am
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

I bought some of Duff's fondant today and was surprised to find that it's hard. When I kneaded it, it became soft. Is this normal? I keep thinking how much like modeling cholcolate it is. I'm worried because I was going to teach kids to make ribbon roses with it, but I can't if it's hard.

It won't stay hard, and you can microwave it a little if you need to. (It is Fondarific also). If you are going to make roses and you want it to harden you will need to add tylose and or gumpaste.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #67 of 92

I like Duff's too. Very pricey but good to know it is Fondarific I will try it thorough them. I honestly didn't care for the smell of it. But I hate candy corn so go figure. But the workability of it is completely amazing. I nuke mine in the microwave for about 10 seconds and it is perfect for use!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:32am
post #68 of 92

I used it Duff's fondant tonight for the first time. I thought it resembled candy clay also, especially when I first opened it. It does soften easily and stays soft for quite awhile. I have used Fondarific and liked it so I tried the red in Duff's. It was sure nice not to have to add color to it.

Dana62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana62 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:50pm
post #69 of 92

I also used Duff's black fondant on my poker cake and it was fantastic. So easy to work with and so durable. It tastes good and I love it. I went back and bought a tub of red. The only problem is that it is sooo expensive, and yes Michaels coupon helps but they only sell it in 2lb tubs. I usually make my own MMF but when I can afford it or if I need black or red I will be buying Duff's.

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #70 of 92

I have looked for the Fondarific sample pack, on their website and could not find it. Where is it?

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #71 of 92

veghed, the fondariffic sample pack can be found once you click on the shopping cart icon in the upper right hand corner. That link takes you to all your ordering options icon_smile.gif hth!!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I am gettinga Sample Pack from fondarific - Flavor One: Wedding White Buttercream & Flavor Two: Strawberry.

The cost was $6.00 (I used PayPal) with no shipping cost!

http://shop.fondarific.com

I am looking forward to trying it.

I'm wondering what made u chose this (I'm going to order my samples today icon_smile.gif) is their reg butter cream off white? It's the same flavor, right? I'm agonizing over which two flavors to pick!

Karen421 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I am gettinga Sample Pack from fondarific - Flavor One: Wedding White Buttercream & Flavor Two: Strawberry.

The cost was $6.00 (I used PayPal) with no shipping cost!

http://shop.fondarific.com

I am looking forward to trying it.

I'm wondering what made u chose this (I'm going to order my samples today icon_smile.gif) is their reg butter cream off white? It's the same flavor, right? I'm agonizing over which two flavors to pick!

I had a hard time choosing also, but I ended up choosing the same as Dizzymaiden. I went with what I thought - I would get the most use out of, but so far every one of their flavors are fantastic! The grandkids want to just eat the chocolate and always hang around for scraps!

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #74 of 92

OK I bought some Duff fondant, since I thought it would be the same as my fonderific samples. Well what a disappointment. It was SUPER SOFT so soft that as I rolled I kept getting surface bubbles. I must have reneaded like 10 times, and gave up and just placed it on the cake, figuring I could hide the bad spots with fondant decorations. I was trying to make a 4th of July themed cake for a party tomorrow.

Well, no luck with the fondant stars either. They would get all bent out of shape. I felt I was working with chewing gum.

I ended up pulling out a box of unused wilton fondant to finish the stars up.

It's too bad because the stuff taste great, but it was a nightmare to just remove from the counter and get onto the cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #75 of 92

Got my fondarific samples today..OHHHH I like them! It is so pliable, smells good and tastes great! Very flexible! I have loved my satin ice but I have to say I enjoy not having the playdough smell!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #76 of 92

I love Fondarific and have been using it exclusively for the last 6 or 7 months. However, for dried fondant decorations, like loopy bows or flowers, IT DOESN'T DRY! I've tried several different things, like adding gumtex or tylose, but, nope, doesn't dry. I also realized that it's quite expensive for something that someone probably isn't going to eat.

So, now I've bought some Fondx for making decorations to dry and Fondarific for eating. I've tried making fondant for the decorations, but haven't been very happy with the results. I'm trying to please my customer, please my pocketbook and please myself with the results.

Just wanted to share some of my experiences with it.

BTW, I had a customer come in to order a cake and we were talking about fondant. So, I got a little taste out for them (buttercream Fondarific) and the LOVED it! She definitely wanted it then.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #77 of 92

I don't know how anyone could make any decor with Duff's fondant! It was the greasiest stuff ever. It may start out 'tough' but once you knead it, it gets WAY too soft. I can see it being used to cover cakes, but for cutting things out, it's just terrible! I tried to make simple stripes for my 4th of July cake and it took forever because the stuff kept stretching out of shape every time I lifted the pieces...and waiting to dry out a little didn't help either. Great color (red), good taste, but big PIA to work with. I have better luck with Wilton. It holds up better when making decor. And honestly, I don't know what the fuss about Wilton's taste is. Maybe it's because I don't use it for more than making polka dots, stripes, and other decor. I've eaten it and it tastes OK to me. It tends to meld with my buttercream and take on the taste of that more than anything. I've made MMF but it turned out more like Duff's fondant. I'm stickin' with Wilton for the time being.
Duff...not the stuff. thumbsdown.gif

Karen421 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I love Fondarific and have been using it exclusively for the last 6 or 7 months. However, for dried fondant decorations, like loopy bows or flowers, IT DOESN'T DRY! I've tried several different things, like adding gumtex or tylose, but, nope, doesn't dry. I also realized that it's quite expensive for something that someone probably isn't going to eat.

So, now I've bought some Fondx for making decorations to dry and Fondarific for eating. I've tried making fondant for the decorations, but haven't been very happy with the results. I'm trying to please my customer, please my pocketbook and please myself with the results.

Just wanted to share some of my experiences with it.

BTW, I had a customer come in to order a cake and we were talking about fondant. So, I got a little taste out for them (buttercream Fondarific) and the LOVED it! She definitely wanted it then.

I Love fondarific!!!! I have been making red roses with it for a week - in my spare time for a wedding in August. I can get it to dry by mixing it 50/50 with gumpaste AND adding tylose. Since no one will be eating them, the taste doesn't worry me. It still took 3 days, but they are dry!! thumbs_up.gif

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #79 of 92

I just got my order of grape fondarific. Smells delicious and tastes so good. Hope it works well when I use it next week.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #80 of 92

I am using Duff's fondant today - it is stretching like crazy!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #81 of 92

I have to agree with mslesuer - Duff's fondant is so pliable and easy to use. No tearing. I've been working in ridiculous humidity and it still worked great. With the 50% off coupons at Michaels, Duff's fondant is affordable.

nodoubter22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nodoubter22 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #82 of 92

I too had problems with duff's fondant. I made a birthday cake yesterday and the fondant kept stretching like crazy. It was a little greasy and after I managed to put the fondant on my cake it kept tearing. The fondant was too soft and had a lot of air bubbles. I even tried using some shortening and corn starch to make it work better. Not very happy with Duff's fondant. The only plus is that it tasted good. Good thing the cake wasn't for a client (just my birthday cake! icon_cry.gif )
Still, I am willing to give Duff's fondant another try icon_biggrin.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #83 of 92

How much is Duff's fondant at Michael's (regular price)?

Karen421 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #84 of 92

The only problem I have found with this fondant is the heat. It just doesn't like the heat and humidity very much.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #85 of 92

I just used Duff's red fondant Friday for a wedding cake. Thanks to your posts here in the forum, certainly helped. Seeing that the fondant isn't heat friendly, I turned the AC on, with my AC, it gets bone chilly cold with no options or it is off and you are sweating out your guts(LOL). I only used it to roll out ribbbons on the bottom border. To roll them out I used a mixture of PS/CS. This was a 6 tiered cake, it sat out while I was working. I noticed it firmed up a lot (due to the cold). I was able to press the print with acrylic stamps and it was still soft, but firm eough to place on the cake. It didn't dry up. One thing I've learned, I've got to stop trying new stuff on projects that have to go out the house. I think my last nerve it gone. All in All it was great working with the stuff. Oh yeah I did stenciling with red BC for the first time. Again thank you to everyone.
Hamsquad

nodoubter22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nodoubter22 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

How much is Duff's fondant at Michael's (regular price)?

It's like $20 for a 2 pound bucket. But remember to use a coupon.

Dickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dickster Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 7:07pm
post #87 of 92

I hated this fondant! It was way too soft and kept ripping when applied to the cake. I ended up throwing it away and starting over!

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:02pm
post #88 of 92

I agree abou the taste of Duff's fondant, but I don't really care for the texture. I've made bows with it and left them to dry for 7 days (with paper towels in the loops) and they still fall down once I take the paper out. Very frustrating. But as for flavor, you really can't beat it!

Desi2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desi2012 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:44pm
post #89 of 92

I'm a beginner really in decorating and baking, considering I haven't touch my decorating tools in 10 years. I was told by someone before that the fondant bought from stores doesn't taste good. After reading all of your comments, I'm interested in trying fondarific. I'm attempting to make our own wedding cake and I wanted to cover the wedding cake tiers in fondant. Is there anything special I should know about the fondarific brand fondant?

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 1:08am
post #90 of 92

The $6.00 does include the shipping, but still cheap enough to try. I'm trying the grape and the chocolate cherry only because I can use them for accent pieces on a specific cake I have in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%