Omg...i Love This Fondant!

Decorating By mslesuer Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 5:41pm by kcassano

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #31 of 92

Sigh....I wish we had a Michaels here on Kauai.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #32 of 92

I switched to Fondarific and I love it and it tastes yummy!! I have been ordering it from Fondarific but after reading this, I will probably start ordering from Global Sugar Art.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #33 of 92

the nearest michaels to me is almost 2 hours away icon_sad.gif... there's a Joanne's Fabric and hour a way from me and sells quite a bit of nice cake decorating stuff but not as much as i wish it did

mauralc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mauralc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #34 of 92

I am just starting with fondant and wanted to know what everyone thought about different brands of it. Clearly, I'm going to try Duff's after reading what you all thought, but are there any other good ones out there?

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:47am
post #35 of 92

I love Fondarific! It doesn't dry out and is easy to work with. It tastes yummy too. I haven't tried Duff's but plan to use my coupons to get some. It is pricey, but worth the extra for the taste and workability.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #36 of 92

i Am interested in one that doesn't dry out. my mmf does despite the amount of crisco i add.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #37 of 92

Is Duff's fondant really made by Fondarific?

tsc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #38 of 92

just got done using the duff fondant for the first time. it was really soft and stretchy. i was using mmf but got too lazy to make it. plus i had a horrible time the last time i tried to cover a cake. our one and only cake store in town sells satin ice for $15 for 2 lbs icon_eek.gif since i was in a pinch i decided to try it. after duff's came out, i figured, what the heck i'll get it with the coupon. haven't used it to cover a cake yet, just made accents with it. I'm still trying to decide if i like it. had to reroll the wedding dress i made 3 times because it kept stretching out of shape everytime i picked it up to put it on the cake. on the plus side, it doesn't get dry really quickly while you're trying to work with it.

superstar Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:34am
post #39 of 92

I use Fondx & I really like it. It is the only good fondant I can buy from a local business in Hawaii & they Fedex it to me very cheaply. I always add a little tylose to my fondant & flavor it with Lorann Oil which makes it a really good consitancy & easy to work with & it is not dry at all. I have through trial & error learned the best way to deal with fondant here. Michaels sound a good deal with 40% coupons but everywhere else is very expensive for the Fondarific.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #40 of 92

It's true - the Duff (Fondarific) fondant is deliscious. I have had 48 loops drying on my counter for > 2 days now, and I'm so glad I don't have kids in the house. As good as these things taste, there is NO way these loops would still be here. I know kids would steal them and eat them. I kept dipping in to the unused chocolate fondant and stealing a bite, as it was like a tootsie roll. I'm now hoping these buggers finally dry enough to use, as I forgot to add the tylose...

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #41 of 92

I usually buy Satin Ice from www.fondantsource.com I am finding that the Satin Ice is more sticky so I usually mix a little Wilton fondant in with it and it works great. I'm going to have to try Fondarific and compare.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #42 of 92

You really have to add either tylose or gumpaste if you are making bows or needed it dry and now that it is really hot here, I have to add it for cutting with my cricut. But I agree it is really good, I even like the smell of Fondarific! (could be b/c I'm on a diet!)

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #43 of 92

Well with the reviews I've just read I've just purchased my first sample!! I can not wait to taste it. Thanks to all Jenn

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:31pm
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

I love Fondarific! It doesn't dry out and is easy to work with.

Totally agree...Satin Ice tends to dry out really quickly for me and then I get elephant skin all the time. Fondarific stays pliable for much longer and is easier to manipulate. Love Fondarific!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #45 of 92

I had a 40% coupon at Michael's and decided to try the black Duff fondant. I was using my funky tappits for some lettering on cakes this weekend. Since one color was pink lettering - I just used my Satin Ice (which I normally use for my cakes) and had no problems cutting out my letters...it was such a breeze.

Then the black fondant letters...that was a nightmare. The dang fondant was difficult to remove from the vinyl sheet I use to roll fondant. So, I added some tylose to the fondant hoping to get it to dry some and still no go. In the past I use Black Satin Ice fondant, but the store didn't have any. I never have any problems with the Black Satin Ice. The Duff fondant tasted pretty good, but it was difficult for me to work with.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

I will give you Michaels (we have like 10 here in VA) if you give me Kauai! icon_biggrin.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galler

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

I will give you Michaels (we have like 10 here in VA) if you give me Kauai! icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, we have three Michaels near me, but I would give them up for just a week in Kauai!

superstar Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm
post #48 of 92

Thanks Galler & Kim for bringing me back to reality! I am fortunate to live here & shouldn't gripe when I can't get everything I want. I hope you can both visit Kauai for a vacation: Who knows what will happen in the future. All things are possible!

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #49 of 92

I'm thinking of buying the grape one for a cake I'm doing for my sisters, so I'm glad to know that it tastes and works good. Just to make sure though, the color on the label is the color the fondant comes in?

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

i read recently here on cc some one steamed their fondant from Duff's and it melted. other then that problem they liked it but do watch the steam when using duff's.. in other words some may be good to do (steaming) but be careful not to Oversteam icon_smile.gif

I use Fondarific and steam my cakes - as long as you do quick passes over the cake, it's fine. If you look at the close up of the top of my Baby Einstein Cake, I did the letter in Fondarific - except for the red which was Satin Ice. I steamed them to adhere the letters to the fondant disk - I held the steam close a little longer than I normally do. The Fondarific letters did start to melt, but the Satin Ice letters still had to be attached using gum glue.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #51 of 92

I too love the Duff fondant. I had to give it a try, used a 50% off coupon at Michaels, I can't get any of the other nice fondants here, small city. So my options are limited. But love the Duff! I had people come up to me and say they really liked the taste of the fondant, so must be good. I used my remaining and mixed it half and half with my home-made MMF and it turned out really really nice!

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #52 of 92

to boriks03 the grape Fondarific is lighter than the label.And the tutti frutti is beige and the label is pink. So they don't match...Kis love the grape and tutti frutti fondarific brand...

mstbnice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstbnice Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #53 of 92

I need to try black. The satin ice color fondant always cracks on me icon_sad.gif Ive been using wilton but the last time it dried out fast. I might go back to just making my own Marshmallow fondant. But I just dont know how to get black

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #54 of 92

Thanks glow0369. I was afraid of that. I'll guess I'll work with it when I get it.

CakeDude30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDude30 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #55 of 92

FYI: You can't shop at fondarific if you live in Canada... which I do. Even though in the address portion it asks for a province and postal code, it keeps telling me it's invalid.

/sigh

susie108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie108 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #56 of 92

Has anyone tried choco pan? How does it taste and does it hold up well on 3-d cakes? Help!!!

susie108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie108 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #57 of 92

Can anyone tell me if fondariffic taste better than choco-pan? Does choco-pan hold up better on a 3-d cake or fondariffic? Please help , I'm desperate!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:15am
post #58 of 92

I like the taste of fondarific better than choco pan. Choco pan tastes more like white chocolate and fondarific is more of a buttercream fondant. They both taste good and hold up well. Personal preference.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Yep, www.fondantsource.com is the same as www.fondantsource.com . They are wonderful to deal with.

Yes, they are quite good. I had ordered a leveler that didn't come in for them and he actually called me and apologized, then sent it via USPS overnight the next day. Great service!

satiria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satiria Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm
post #60 of 92

I have a wedding cake in a couple of weeks that needs to be off-white. I bought the ivory Fondx but it is waaaay too dark. The bride wants it closer to white but not white-white (if that makes any sense). I noticed that Fondarific has white and wedding white. Can anyone please tell me if the white is more of an off-white? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%