Omg...i Love This Fondant!

Decorating By mslesuer Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 5:41pm by kcassano

mslesuer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mslesuer Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 92

ok...here are my recent fondant findings..lol

Satin Ice- (Good)...I've found that I can use less BC underneath and it holds well. however, lately...its been too sticky!

Wilton- (Fair)....I've tried this because I didn't order SI online in time for the event. I had sooooooo many problems with this fondant. It cracked, dried out before I can place on the cake and then it had elephant skin on top of all of that! icon_surprised.gif

Fonderiffic/Duff Goldman- (LOVE IT)...okay, so I wanted to try this because it was available at Michaels....and i must say....I love it! It worked like a dream. It was soft and pliable, easy to roll out and didn't dry out at all. The only down side is that I had to use more of a crumb coat, other than that...I think I will change over completly icon_biggrin.gif

Well, that's my little experiment....thanks for listening...lol!

91 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 92

thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 92

That is weird - I held off from buying it because someone said SatinIce produces it. I can't wait to try the red...thanks for your experimentation!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 92

Don't forget to try FondX!!!!

Good to know the Duff stuff is good though too.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 92

Duff's fondant is made by Fondarific.
It's expensive at Michaels.
You can purchase it cheaper through Fondarific.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR1955

You can use 40% off coupons at Michaels..........print as many as you want from their website and use one at a time.

SweetTreatsbyJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 92

How was it as far as taste?

Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR1955

You can use 40% off coupons at Michaels..........print as many as you want from their website and use one at a time.

Love those coupons for Micheals!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttjss

How was it as far as taste?

Just opened my tub of the black. It has a really sweet smell. Tastes kinda like buttercream and candy corn mix. Doesnt have a chemical smell like the satin ice, the playdoh-ie smell. Its pleasant.

Mine had some dry spots in it. Guess I can work around that. I also used the coupon at Michaels. I only needed a small bit of black so this tub will do for what I need.

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 92

I wish I would have read your review a few days ago icon_sad.gif I just ordered a bunch of Satin Ice online because I have two cakes to make and don't have time to make that much MMF. I was going to buy Duff's fondant with the Michael's coupons but then I found a better deal on the Satin Ice. I should have stuck with my original plan. Although I've never used anything other than MMF or Wilton so I guess I won't know the difference. Any tips for a new Satin Ice user?

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 92

I am not crazy about Satin Ice, and I am new to all this too, so I am afraid of trying others, but I'll have to venture out and get Duff's.

Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 92

I am gettinga Sample Pack from fondarific - Flavor One: Wedding White Buttercream & Flavor Two: Strawberry.

The cost was $6.00 (I used PayPal) with no shipping cost!

http://shop.fondarific.com

I am looking forward to trying it.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 92

I used Duff's red and blue this past weekend as accents on my Memorial day cake (in my pics) my 7 yr old and his cousin didn't want the cake but they ate all of the fondant, they love the stuff. I also made a loopy bow with it (which I didn't use) and they were trying to snack on that to. I must say it is tasty. lol

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 92

I too took the plunge and purchased Duff fondant this weekend. I usually use MMF. I have to say I felllll in looooovvvvveee with it!! I bought the white (buttercream flavor) and the dark chocolate. Even my "non fondant" eating family members ate it all! The dark chocolate tastes just like a tootsie roll (yummmy! ) and the white has a light buttery/vanilla flavor. Extremely easy to work with! I'm sold.....as long as Micheal's has coupons!! They had it 25% off this weekend so I couldn't use my 40% coupon....but that's OK. I'm going back later this week!

I give it 2 thumbs up!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 92

My Satin Ice has been sticky lately, not so much the white - but the color buckets. Thanks for the information, I guess I'll have to break out the Michaels coupons to try Duff's too!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #16 of 92

I use Fondarific and love it! I don't use the Duff but the regular buttercream flavored fondarific. My customers like the taste and it can be rolled so super thin. I use a full coat of buttercream underneath and the non-fondant lovers like that because they still get all of their buttercream. After using Fondarific a while, I went to use some SatinIce I still had and it just felt so soft. If I'm covering 4 cakes with fondant, I will have to reroll at least one of them when I use SatinIce. I've never had to recover using Fondarific.

I buy it from Global Sugar Art and it's cheaper than buying from Fondarific. Love it and I'm building biceps and triceps! Gotta Love those muscles I thought were gone for good!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:30am
post #17 of 92

Fondantsource is cheaper. They have the best prices I have found. I purchased five pounds of chocolate for a wedding cake next weekend. I did order two pounds of the Satin ice to make grass with because it was half the price of the Fondarific. The grass has to stick up above the top of the cake so I figured I need a stiffer fondant. Can't wait to try it.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:46am
post #18 of 92

I got the sample pack from fondarific and loved all the flavors, chocolate was my least favorite because it does not have a chocolate taste it was not bad though. The lemon flavor is so tasty.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I can not wait to try Duff fondant, of course purchasing with coupons.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #19 of 92

I bought fondarific mocha flavored for the Black cake in my photos (it was brown colored it black easily) And I loved it. Now I have used Satin Ice but it was easier to use than Wilton.

mslesuer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mslesuer Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 92

Thanks for all of the replies! Here is a pic of the cake that I used the Duff Fondant on....go under my pics and its the "Pink Princess Cake"!

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 92

Is fondarific the color of the container label or are they all white with different flavors?

Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #22 of 92

I got my Fondarific samples today.

They shipped it in a 2 lbs bucket which is nice because I know what to expect if I order 2lbs.

I only ordered 2 flavors but got 4! strawberry, chocolate, buttercream and white wedding buttercream.

I had some co-workers taste test and they thought it taste nice. Some wanted to eat the whole sample -NO! lol

Each sample comes in a neat little clear plastic bag with a label. The bucket also had a brochure and business card.

Over all I am super pleased with my purchase. Only $6 which most likely paid for shipping. Great deal.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:06pm
post #23 of 92

Have any of you tired both Fondarific or Duff's Fondant and Michelle Foster's Fondant? How does it compare as far as workability and taste? TIA.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #24 of 92

Dizzymaiden, you should have gotten 5 samples!

They automatically send you three and you use the drop down boxes to select the other two flavors you want.

Maybe you picked a flavor that they were going to send you anyway? Seems like vanilla, chocolate and buttercream were the standard ones you get regardless, and then you choose the other two.

Glad it came pacakaged nicely! I'm waiting for mine....

Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 92

Chasey: your right! I put two names together and made one flavor icon_lol.gif

I got Buttercream, Vanilla, Chocolate (and two of your favorite flavors.) strawberry and wedding white buttercream.

I really like the taste of the buttercream, but they all pass! I worked one of the colors to death last night and this morning half (that I put back) was still in good shape and the other half I dried - dried without cracking or turning a weird off color.

It is a fun package to get in the mail - for $6 - just sayin...if you like little gifts and don't really have the money for something big...

Domestic_Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Domestic_Sugar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #26 of 92

I could have shot the cake I was using the Wilton Boxed stuff on. It was an awful mess. It did keep cracking. I always use MMF when I work on cakes, but this time, the bride handed me the box and asked me to use it. I can't say no, I wish I had. It was a disaster! I cried so much! I will never use it again.

Wilton Boxed Fondant: CRAP!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 92

i read recently here on cc some one steamed their fondant from Duff's and it melted. other then that problem they liked it but do watch the steam when using duff's.. in other words some may be good to do (steaming) but be careful not to Oversteam icon_smile.gif

CakePubGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePubGirl Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #28 of 92

the store near me sells both satinice and pettinice, I like the pettinice, at least its way better than wiltons but are they made by the same people by any chance? and I will have to go out and buy some of the duff fondant yall are talking about, I have a micheals but they get pricey for me quick-arts stores are like my crack and i leave broke! lol! jkjk!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #29 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

Chasey: your right! I put two names together and made one flavor icon_lol.gif

I got Buttercream, Vanilla, Chocolate (and two of your favorite flavors.) strawberry and wedding white buttercream.

I really like the taste of the buttercream, but they all pass! I worked one of the colors to death last night and this morning half (that I put back) was still in good shape and the other half I dried - dried without cracking or turning a weird off color.

It is a fun package to get in the mail - for $6 - just sayin...if you like little gifts and don't really have the money for something big...

Wow! I ordered the sample pack last week, now I really can't wait to get it, taste it and try it out.

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #30 of 92

I just purchased my Fondariffic sample and tomorrow I'll be going to Michael's hopefully use my 40% off coupon on a tub of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%