Gold Color On This Cake?

Decorating By RUMCAKE Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:02am by RUMCAKE

RUMCAKE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUMCAKE Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 11

A bride brought a copy of the below cake to me and she wants the paisley designs in the same gold color. The color itself looks like gold and I am wondering if there is a real gold color like this out there. It dosent seem like she painted gold over the design it seem like the actual color was piped in gold. What do you think.? Its bursting my brains to come up with thgen design. Any help would be appreciated.

I was also wondering if it is hand done or she used a stencil. She said she entered it into the 2010 Great American Cake Show.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/261/c/0/Red_Indian_wedding_cake_by_The_EvIl_Plankton.jpg

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 11

It deffinately not a stencil, it was hand piped (probably royal) and gold color painted on after it dried. I'm guessing they mixed gold luster dust with some type of clear alcohol (vodka, garain alcohol, etc.)

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 11

Gold is a tricky colour. I've had best results when brushing a little food grade shellac on to the icing and letting dry. It will be a little tacky and then dry drushing the gold lustre dust on. I've tried painting it on using alcohol but it looked too thin to me.

RUMCAKE Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:57am
post #4 of 11

Thanks guys. I made the cake and painted the luster gold dust mixed with rum. I am sure it there is more to this cake. The gold definitely does not seem to be painted over because you cannot see any of the original color between the cake and the dots or piping.

I am going to research the idea that you could mix the gold with the icing and see if it comes out with the gold sheen. There is a color I found recently called gold. I will use that and mix it with the gold luster dust and see the result. Thanks again

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 11

Gold Highlighter would give a truer gold than gold luster dust. Perhaps that was what was used.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 11

I have seen gold dust mixed with piping gel to achieve this effect. You can pipe with it. It takes a lot of dust though... hth

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 11

I have seen americolor "gold sheen". However they also have a gold colour, so don't get them confused. I bought a silver but have yet to use it, so I couldn't give you proof though. Maybe check their website for a better description. But from the example at the store, this looks like it may be the product that you're looking for.

Or, although I have never used an airbrush machine, but perhaps the person used the gold sheen colour while the stencil was still in place?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 11

It is possible (and likely) that they hand painted over royal. It takes alot of talent and patience but that's usually what's done.

It looks like regular super gold luster, it does not look shiny like highlighter dust.

I saw a cake at a competition that was painted royal icing gold and there were no "boo boo" marks either...just very nice painting.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

It is possible (and likely) that they hand painted over royal. It takes alot of talent and patience but that's usually what's done.

Isn't that what I said?

cakeheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeheart Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 11
RUMCAKE Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 11

Cakeart,

Thanks very much for posting that link. I knew there had to be a way to use gold in the icing so it shows. I sespect that is what that decorator of this cake did. Thanks also for all the other replis.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%