Cake Crumbles!

Decorating By Jenmarlene Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm by Jenmarlene

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 12

I've noticed when I cut one of my cakes it crumbles apart...I use DH mix, and I always use simple syrup. please help, I have a big cake order for saturday and I don't want it to happen again...

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 12

What kind of knife are you using? Are you "cutting" thru the cake or are you "pushing" thru it? I always use DH and I've never had any problems with it being crumbly. I use a sharp knife and wipe it clean for each cut of the cake. Do you straight box mix? I use the WASC recipe by kakeladi becaue sometimes straight box mix can be a little too crumbly/fluffy.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 12

I use the straight box, I don't think it's the knife because my last cake order I also asked her if it crumbled and she said yes...

Jenmarlene Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #5 of 12

I think I found my answer from the links above, the minute I take it out the oven I emediatly remove the cake from the pan onto the cake cirlces and sometimes right into the fridge...I guess that's a no no

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #6 of 12

Why are you using simple syrup? If it's a box mix, the stabilizers should keep it moist. You may want to try one without the simple syrup because you may be making it too moist by using it.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:01am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Why are you using simple syrup? If it's a box mix, the stabilizers should keep it moist. You may want to try one without the simple syrup because you may be making it too moist by using it.

I agree with cheatize since I see that you're using straight box mix.

Jenmarlene Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 12

the reason I use the symple syrup is because us spanish people like it, and they all request the "puertorican style cake" which we call it wet. either brandy or almond flavored...so you think its because of the symple syrup? and not taking it out the pan as soon as it comes out the over?

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmarlene

the reason I use the symple syrup is because us spanish people like it, and they all request the "puertorican style cake" which we call it wet. either brandy or almond flavored...so you think its because of the symple syrup? and not taking it out the pan as soon as it comes out the over?

Yes because it's straight box mix. If you used a doctored cake mix it would probably help. A doctored cake mix is more dense and sturdy.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

good links thanks

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, I would doctor the mix to be firmer since you have to add the simple syrup. Try it out first, though. You want to be sure it is still what your clients want.

Jenmarlene Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 12

Ok, thank you guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%