Baking Time

Baking By Cargen Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 2:54am by Cargen

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 7

I am getting ready to bake my first half sheet cake and I was wondering if anyone could give me guidance on how long to cook it. I normally cook at 325 and I know you have to add time for that, but I have no idea how much to add for a sheet cake. I know most of you could probably do this in your sleep so sorry for the silly question.

6 replies
eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

For a half sheet cake you should bake at 325 degrees for about 45-50 min, all ovens vary so just keep an eye on your cake, just as an FYI, you can put 1 or 2 flower nails in the pan before you pour the batter, this is to help the cake bake even, or you can use the even baking strips from Wilton. Good Luck!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 7

i dont' know what size you condsider a 1/2 sheet cake. So here is a good reference chart for a lot of different size pans.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

and this one has rectangle shapes on it.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:00am
post #4 of 7

I bake all of my cakes at 325 degrees and I never time anything. I bake until it's done.

Cargen Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 7

Wow! Thanks guys. LOVE the chart on Wilton. I had not seen that before. I have bake even strips, but I never have luck putting them on square pans. Probably the way I am doing it, but I can't seem to get them tight enough. LOVE the idea of the flower nails. How would I get them to stand up? Or do they just fall over in the batter?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargen

Wow! Thanks guys. LOVE the chart on Wilton. I had not seen that before. I have bake even strips, but I never have luck putting them on square pans. Probably the way I am doing it, but I can't seem to get them tight enough. LOVE the idea of the flower nails. How would I get them to stand up? Or do they just fall over in the batter?

the flat part of the flower nail is laying on the pan so that the "nail" part is sticking up. When you flip your cake out of the pan you can just pull it out and you have a small hole (which no one will ever even notice)

Cargen Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #7 of 7

Thank you leily. I figured out after I asked the question how silly it was. Don't know why I had it stuck in my head it had to be up like how it is when you make flowers on it. Sometimes I just don't think things through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%