Convert From Measure To Weight?

Decorating By jonicca Updated 31 May 2010 , 9:38pm by FullHouse

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 6

I just got a digital scale and I want to convert all my recipes to weight, just for more consistent results. Can I just go through my recipes and mathematically make the conversions? Or do I need to actually go through each ingredient and measure it on the scale? Also, does anyone know a good site for acurate conversion for each ingredient? I was looking in The Cake Bible and The Well Decorated Cake, but their grams are slightly different from each other. TIA!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

My digital scale came with a conversion chart, but my actual weights were slightly different on some ingredients, so I did go through each ingredient and weighed it - three times - then took the average as the official weight of that ingredient.

No, you cannot mathematically make the conversions. A cup of flour sure as heck doesn't the weigh the same as a cup of packed brown sugar! icon_smile.gif

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6

I started using the chart in the back of The Cake Bible and my recipes have been turning out great. I love not having to use measuring cups!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

ditto, i love my scale. I typically measure out the ingredient one more time in the liquid or dry measuring cups and the empty containers then i write the difference down on the recipe its self.

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 6

@ abeane. I completely forgot about that chart! I just picked up the book again and skimmed, but its been a while since I've really gone through it.

So, I think I'll take all of your tips and mathematically convert all my recipes according to that chart, but double check it against my measurements as I make each recipe.

Thanks so much!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 6

I LOVE using my scale. I also found that each chart vaired a bit. I wound up just checking the side of the ingredient container and using those weights (i.e. my sugar is something like 4g per tsp, I multiply that). Then I tape a post-it to the side of the container listing weights for 1/4, 1/2 & 1 cup of each ingredient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%