Monograms/ Banner Labels

Decorating By Mommy2three4714 Updated 31 May 2010 , 11:23pm by Mommy2three4714

Mommy2three4714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2three4714 Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 9

What is the best way to create monograms? I used the pc; printed, cut out, traced over fondant and edged out. It took forever and could have turned out neater. HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY!! Also, I like the banners out of fondant with the messages on cakes, but I can not tell what is used for the writing....food coloring or some sort of pen?? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated! New to this!! Loving it though- good therapy!

8 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,

When I make a fondant banner I write in RI icing on it, as for a monogram on say a cookie I make a stencil in the font & size I need then I use RI to apply it to my cake or cookie.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 9

The one I did for the princess cake (banner) was painted on with thinned down food coloring.

For cookies, I also make my own stencils with a flexible cutting board, x-acto knife, and a print-out of the monogram. I use Photoshop to get the letters just right.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 9

Once you have the stencil made, use royal icing and a palate knife to spread on the icing and carefully peel away the stencil. It goes pretty fast that way. I used to do all the monograms by hand...not anymore!

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2three4714

What is the best way to create monograms? I used the pc; printed, cut out, traced over fondant and edged out. It took forever and could have turned out neater. HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY!! Also, I like the banners out of fondant with the messages on cakes, but I can not tell what is used for the writing....food coloring or some sort of pen?? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated! New to this!! Loving it though- good therapy!

I use an Americolor marker to do this, check into it!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 9

I needed some monogram letters for a wedding cake last year and knew that RI by itself was so fragile that there had to be a better way. So the method I came up with is in this thread (also has photos of the monograms). They were so sturdy and not one broke. (I still have the leftovers packaged away in an air tight container...lol).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-631195-.html.

Now I know that I could have cut out the letters from gumpaste/fondant mix on my cricut, which I am doing quite often now - so much easier icon_smile.gif

I can also cut out stencils on my cricut! So much easier on my hand not to have to use an exacto knife.

Hope that helps!

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 9

I use fondant banners and before I set them out to dry, I cut out lettering using the FFM lettering collection and place it on the long, thin banner. I've been struggling with lettering as well because I don't always have the time to cut out the individual letters. Sometimes, I just write out "Happy Birthday" on the base in front of the cake. Is that cheating? Oh, I hope not icon_smile.gif

Mommy2three4714 Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for the suggestions! They all sound great and much better than what I was trying to do. I love this site!

Mommy2three4714 Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 9

What is the FFM lettering collection?? Also, I have not found letter cutters at all. I have tried Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%