Wilton Has Come Up With A New Buttercream Rose?

Decorating By kcw551 Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 1:58pm by raydon

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 46

Has anyone seen this? I was in Michael's when I saw the new rose on the box for one of the classes that Wilton has. I was trying to figure out how it was done and with what tip. Has anyone taken the class that teaches this new rose? I have trouble with the buttercream rose and of course if I practiced more I would probably get the hang of it, but this new one looks so much easier...I hope.

45 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 46

I saw a demo of it at my Michael's. I took all the Wilton classes a couple of years ago and absolutely could not master that rose! The new one is very whimsical and fun and I can't wait to try it but I hope they still teach the old one because not all cakes call for a whimsical flower. I had a chance to look at some of thenew course books, too, and Wilton has really updated their look, there are some really cute cakes and new flowers, like the pom pom and the shaggy mum.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 46

The ribbon rose is what you are talking about and it will be taught in the decorating basics class (course I). The traditional Wilton rose will now be taught in the flowers and cake design class (course II). So both will be taught just in a different order. I love the look of the ribbon rose but I agree it's not for every cake.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 46

I would like to see it, are there pics of the new rose anywhere?

kcw551 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 46

I took the classes a few years ago and don't really want to take it again just for the one flower. Maybe I will have to play around with it and see what I can come up with. Would love to see a demo of it to help. Maybe I need to search youtube again and see what they have....

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 46
Elcee Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 46

There's a picture and instructions on the Wilton website. If the link doesn't work, I just went to the Wilton website and did a search for ribbon rose.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Ribbon-Roses

CC22504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC22504 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 46

I did take the wilton classes and the rose was difficult for me as well. I do like this new rose..it does look easier but I suppose i will have to learn to master the traditional rose..the new ribbon rose IS for the whimsical cakes icon_smile.gif

kcw551 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 46

thanks Elcee, and that looks close, but it looks different in the picture on the box and they are calling it the 'new' rose. ngfcake, that's a pretty rose but still not quite it.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 46

Wilton has a new "refreshed Curriculum" that begins the week of June 6. The new courses will be absolutely wonderful, teaching new flowers and ways to do decorating. If you have taken courses previously you should consider taking some of the new courses. There is something for everyone and so many new things you can hardly pass up the courses.
evelyn

au_decorator_76 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 46

Yeah I don't plan on taking the course again so I bought the book and plan to teach myself.

ngfcake - no it doesn't look like that. Here is the main page for that course. The flowers on the colorful cake is the new ribbon roses.
http://www.wilton.com/classes/decorating-basics.cfm

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 46

I've seen that new rose and it's very cute but I can't find a pic of it on the Wilton site. It's a little different than the links here. I start the new course tomorrow night and I'm very excited!

au_decorator_76 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 46

Oh! thanks for the instruction link! I didn't dig far enough to find that.

kcw551 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 46

au_decorator_76, yes that is the one I'm talking about! Thanks for finding it.

dpdavis, let me know how your class goes, if you like the new rose.... icon_smile.gif

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 46

I really like the look of the new rose too. But I really want to learn how to make that shaggy mum, that's my favorite!

Elcee Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 46

mlocklear, I really liked the shaggy mum too. My next for fun cake project is going to be shaggy mums on cupcakes! icon_smile.gif

mlocklear Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

mlocklear, I really liked the shaggy mum too. My next for fun cake project is going to be shaggy mums on cupcakes! icon_smile.gif

I bet that will be cute! Make sure to post pics!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #18 of 46

the new wilton rose taught , now, in decorating basics, use to be called course 1 is not the one that elcee posted from the wilton site. you make a base just like doing the regular wilton rose. then you use tip 104 and make the first wrap , just like we did for the regular rose. then you use the 104 tip and place big end of tip into icing , small end up and pipe going around base without stoping until you get back to where you started. drop down a little . little end out toward 1:00 . start piping maybe in the middle of where you started first row. pipe without stopping until you get back to where you started. drop down again, little end at 2:00, find a place somewhere in the middle of where you stopped and pipe without stopping until you get back to where you started. you can the, pipe a fourth row, hooking up at the very base of this flower. be sure to hold the little end at 12:00, 1:00 and 2:00 , just like we do with the regular rose. it is very pretty. yes, and then we teach the reg. rose in flowers and design( use to be course 11) with r/i. i am not so fond of that, but that is just how it is. lol. hth. g/p and fondant class , we learn the g/p mum, daisy, the pretty g/p rose, cala lily,daisy, and the loopy bow. and some border frills with a new cutter.

mlocklear Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #19 of 46

icer, are you a wilton instructor? Can you tell me how to make that new pompom, shaggy looking flower?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #20 of 46

Yeah, Wilton's dumbed down their courses.

kcw551 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #21 of 46

thanks icer101, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Very helpful, I will have to try it this weekend. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #22 of 46

I think the ribbon roses look sloppy and amateurish........fun on a whimsical cake, but I would be mad if I took the course and didn't learn how to make a REAL looking rose!

picakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #23 of 46

I just took "old" courses 1-3 and I'm really glad that I learned the traditional rose, but for me, it would have been easier to learn that in the second class. If you have no decorating experience at all when you start (I have always baked but had never done any decorating before), it can be a little discouraging to try to master the traditional Wilton rose so early. Everyone is different and everyone starts at a different level when they take the classes, but for me it seems like it might have been easier to learn the ribbon rose first, so I like the new order of things. They didn't take the Wilton rose out, they just moved it to the second class. I start the new gumpaste and fondant class on Thursday and I can't wait!

thepenguinbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepenguinbaker Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:23pm
post #24 of 46

I just started this class last night (6/1) @ Joann's... Im 24 and taking this with my mom who took the Wilton class when I was like 9. She went in yesterday a couple hours before the class to buy all the supplies. When we got to the class, they said all the books and kits were wrong. The Wilton people hadn't told Joann's that they were using the new stuff yet or Joann's was just confused. lol. SO everyone had to return their stuff and buy the "new hip stuff". I love the new kits, because they have more tips in it. I do like the new roses, my mom doesn't...she says they don't look like roses. lol. Even though she is retaking these courses with me, there was a lot of new stuff being taught and alot of the stuff she was taught back when, that is now in void. They no longer do the clowns (sad face...my friend loves clowns..so Ill have to learn myself). I really enjoyed myself last night on my 1st night. I already decorated cakes before...with store bought icing and a betty crocker decorator set (HEHE). Anyways..I enjoyed the class..and cant wait til more.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:13pm
post #25 of 46

As a WMI I've seen alot of people walk out of class the last night very frustrated that they didn't make a good regular rose. Some people get it right away and others have to struggle. I was one that had to struggle with it, so I understand that feeling very much.

The idea of the ribbon rose is to teach the techinques involved with the rose, but not having to do all of the steps at once, which can be very overwhelming. The students will get the clock positions down in the Basics, then add the actually petals in Flowers and Cake Design. They will be using royal then which tends to come out with smoother prettier edges.

The ribbon rose isn't for everyone, but at the demo I did a few weekends ago, there were many people that really liked it. I think it is a cute flower. Is it the rose rose, nope, but then that is why the rose is still taught in the next course.

Someone commented on Wilton dumbing down the courses, and in the Basics, yes it is very basic, but when you have people that have never held an icing bag what else are you suppose to do? Wilton's classes have always been geared toward the begginers, the people that want to get into cake decorating. They are pretty affordable and in most cases there is a class right around the corner for you. Their Flowers and Design and Gum Paste and Fondant, are alot like the last courses, with some new things added in.

Wilton will never be able to please everyone, in some cases there are people it will never please no matter what they do.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #26 of 46

I'm excited about seeing what you make in class, PenguinBaker! Please be sure to post photos! icon_smile.gif

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 46

How do you buy a Wilton course instruction book without taking the class?

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnawb

How do you buy a Wilton course instruction book without taking the class?

You can buy the books/kits in the cake isle of most Michaels and Hobby Lobby's ebay is also a good place to look.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

You can buy the books/kits in the cake isle of most Michaels and Hobby Lobby's ebay is also a good place to look.

Michael's does not sell course books. You get it free with your course the first night of class.

Elcee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

the new wilton rose taught , now, in decorating basics, use to be called course 1 is not the one that elcee posted from the wilton site.

I don't really see the difference, but I'm not a WMI icon_smile.gif . Thanks for posting the instructions, though. I never did get the original rose conquered but I am glad it will still be taught. It's very classic and pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%