Thinking About Leaving My Job For My Candy Business

Business By MariaK38 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 11:33am by infinitsky

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 13

Oh boy, I'm in a pickle! I've been working part time for the last 6 months for a friend who owns a magazine. She offered me the job after running into me in the post office just before Christmas last year. I like the job, but I feel my focus is really divided between this job and my candy business, especially as I'm getting more orders.
I need to give her my notice, but I feel bad. I've been putting this off for a week already. Help me!

Maria

12 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 13

She has her own business so she should understand that you now need to focus on yours. Have you mentioned that you're getting more orders? Then it shouldn't be a very big surprise to her, don't drag it out just tell her, give her your 2 week notice and start worrying about your business instead of her feelings. It's very liberating to put yourself first!!

MariaK38 Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 13

thanks for the support! I talked to my boss today, and she said that she kind of sensed it was coming. She was wonderful and very supportive about it, but disappointed that I was leaving.
Whew... it's done!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

Oh boy, I'm in a pickle! I've been working part time for the last 6 months for a friend who owns a magazine. She offered me the job after running into me in the post office just before Christmas last year. I like the job, but I feel my focus is really divided between this job and my candy business, especially as I'm getting more orders.
I need to give her my notice, but I feel bad. I've been putting this off for a week already. Help me!

Maria

Wow this is so cool, you are going to do what you like and if this makes you happy go for it. I was thinking about doing something like this (candy business) but I don't know were to start or how to start.
good luck Maria

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 13

Congratulations! How wonderful for you! All the best in pursuing your candy business full time!

MariaK38 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 13

thanks, everyone!

Maria

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 13

What kind of candy do you make, Maria? Hard candy, chocolates, ....?

Can you tell I love candy? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Good luck with your full-time venture!!

MariaK38 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 13

Hi JGMB! My specialty is peanut butter buckeyes. They're pretty popular here in Ohio... basically a peanut butter ball partially dipped in chocolate. I also dip a variety of things in chocolate (pretzel rods, oreos, marshmallows, nutter butters). I make decorated sugar cookies and cupcakes, too. My chocolate cupcakes with a buckeye baked in the middle with chocolate/peanut buttercream on the top are to die for!
You can visit my website to see everything... www.mariasbuckeyesfavors.com

Thanks for asking!

Maria

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the info, Maria. Oh, and you don't have to tell me what a buckeye is -- I was born and bred in Youngstown, my husband graduated from Ohio State, and both of our kids were born at OSU Hospital. I've probably eaten my weight in buckeyes over my lifetime!

Oh, and I have a great recipe where you take a mini pretzel and put a freshly-dipped buckeye on top of it so that it adheres. They're amazing! Maybe you should give them a try.

I can't wait to look at your website!

MariaK38 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13

wow, that sounds amazing! chocolate covered pretzels are my favorite treat and buckeyes are a close second!

maria

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #11 of 13

Congratulations! Enjoy the transition back to your growing business!

MariaK38 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:16am
post #12 of 13

thank you! I'm a little nervous... the day after I put my notice in, I had a cancelled tasting and a cancelled order. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come! Oh well, I just need to keep plugging away! Hopefully my tasting from yesterday will book.

Maria

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:33am
post #13 of 13

Congratulations on your new buisiness.
Do not give up, pray for the best. Best of luck to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%