How To Decide On Number Of Serves?

Decorating By nelikate Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 1:35am by nelikate

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:02am
post #1 of 4

Hi all

I'm sorry if you are sick of reading questions of this nature but I cant find the answer I want (no, its not "Yes your right Nel" 'icon_wink.gif' ).

I have a co worker who has asked me to make her sons birthday cake. she has decided on something similar to Tuggy's or helipops cakes below.

She is hosting 35 children AND 1 -2 parents per child! I suggested a cake to feed 70 which would be an 8 & 10in. But I am wondering if I should make a 8 & 12in serving 84 just in case more children bring 2 parents.

if she decides on the soccer ball cake (tuggys) should I add another tier so it would be the soccer ball (Wilton say it serves 12), 8 & 10in or should the bottom tier be a 12in.

Oh please help me I really don't know what to do. I have to get back to her with the design, shopping list and expected cost of ingredients by Friday. (I'm not a business yet, trying to find a kitchen atm)

Thanks in advance

Nel
LL
LL

3 replies
kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:41am
post #2 of 4

I would do an 8" and a 10" and then, using the Wilton ball pan, put a cake soccer ball on top. That would be plenty to feed everyone. Hope this helps!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 4

i would give her the options and then do whatever she wants to pay for. An additional 14 servings can be a large price difference to some people.

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies Bigbie and Leily.

Yes I think if I do the soccer ball pan cake I will offer an 8 & 10 & soccer ball. I will also give her the option of the 8 & 12 or 8 & 10 for the other style.

As i cannot charge for the cake the only price difference will be in additional ingredients - a bit more buttercream/fondant and a bit more cake batter.

I guess I was wondering how you advise people on number of serves when they are not clear on the number of people attending. - leily if she was paying per serve then an additional 14 serves could be the deciding factor.

I gotta say I cannot wait until I find a kitchen then I can start charging for all the work too!

thanks again
Nel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%