New Business Advertising?

Business By SaltCakeCity Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 1:46am by Kaylani

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:08am
post #1 of 8

Hello all you beautiful CC people icon_smile.gif

Last year I started a new cake business called Salt Cake City and I'm just wondering how to get more advertising for free or to get my name out there more. I know there are a lot of cake blogs and websites that advertise new cakers but how do i get into that scene? Any facebook cake people I should "friend?" Any help would be great! Thank you!

Jennifer

7 replies
CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:35am
post #2 of 8

i have seen so many cake places on facebook and 9/10 times i add them, then they are friends with more and those are friends with more. i would start adding people and getting them to suggest you to friends. i would say add me but im in australia hahahaha

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:59am
post #3 of 8

Jennifer

I love your cakes. I visited your website today after seeing your rubix cube cake on here.

That said, put your website everywhere you are. On the end of emails, within your signature, that sort of thing.

Think about the clients you want - birthday cakes - see if you can advertise in local school newsletters.

tell your friends and family your website address and ask them to pass it on if anyone mentions cake. For this I will be writing up little postcards for my family & friends to put on their fridges or in their handbags.

Good luck and happy caking
Nel

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much! These are great suggestions! I will definitely start doing these things! icon_smile.gif Keep the ideas flowing!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 8

..moving to Business forum.

melon_ball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melon_ball Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 8

Hi Jennifer,

I work for a marketing and web development company and a popular online trend right now is Twitter. It can actually be pertinent for businesses. You can post new cakes to your followers, announce any specials you might have going on in the shop (if that's the case), declare new flavors, etc.

Facebook and Flickr are also really good tools to use. Start with family, friends and current clients and go from there.

Branding is also extremely important. Make sure you label EVERYTHING that goes out of your store. All cake or cupcake boxes should at least have your company name, phone number and web address. You can also create small paper holders in your boxes and stuff business cards into them.

Drive people to your website and from there you can link to facebook, twitter and whatever other social networking you might use.

I hope this helps!!

Melanie

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 8

Piggy backing off of what melon_ball said, social networking does seem to huge nowadays (ever notice how many commercials show the Twitter or Facebook username now at the end? Scary!). I love Twitter for everything that was outlined above, Facebook is a nice free no-brainer, Flickr, My Space, etc. Foursquare is a newer application to the scene as well, where people 'check in' to whatever store they're at currently. Whenever a person checks in, Foursquare will show what other businesses are around them too, so it gets your name out there too if you make sure it's added to the database.

Also, try pairing up with other business that would service the same kinds of customers you're after. If you do weding cakes, and you're friends with a wedding planner, strike an agreement with them that you'll refer each other to customers for example.

Can you put up bulletins in supermarkets and churches around you? Post free ads on Kijiji or Craigs List? Do a mail out of little post cards to neighbourhoods around you?

Also, I love your name, so cute! Now I'm off to go google it so I can see your cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #8 of 8

Melon Ball thank you for sharing your marketing expertise. The idea to add an envelope with cards in it on the box is wonderful. We have been trying to figure out how to add cards without making a fuss & that is a perfect solution!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%