I Need Some Help With A Gumpaste Question

Decorating By mumof3 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm by allaboutcakeuk

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:46am
post #1 of 14

I tried to search for an answer to this question but it only left me more confused....please could someone help.

I understand the following:

There is Gumpaste..and there is Gumtex, then there is 50/50 Gumpaste or Gumtext.

I can't get Gumpaste and I'm not that confident in using Egg Whites, so I don't want to make my own (also I noticed quiet a few CC's buy their own thumbs_up.gif ...wish I could ....) BUT I can get Gumtex. icon_biggrin.gif

Now at the back of the Gumtex box it gives instructions to make something...what is this something? Is this the same as Gumpaste?

When I searched Gumtex alot of CC'rs seemed have a magical method of just sprinkling it on to their fondant...can I do that icon_surprised.gif Or would this give me 50/50. icon_confused.gif If so is this strong...yet edible... icon_confused.gif

Whoops icon_surprised.gif I forgot to mention. I need the Gumpaste/Gumtex/50-50 for a castle cake. To make the towers and the walls.

Sorry for such a long post...thank you for your time.

13 replies
nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:18am
post #2 of 14

Yes, the recipe on the Gum-Tex can is for an actual gum paste. You would definitely be able to mix it 50/50 with your fondant if that is what your directions call for. You can also add some Gum Tex directly to your fondant for similar results, without making gum paste (it doesn't take much--a scant teaspoon to a fist-sized lump of fondant usually works for me....more if it isn't drying as quickly or as hard as I want it to.)

mumof3 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 14

Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you know how long it will take for the gumpaste (using gum-text) to dry?

I wanted to make some towers but I don't have that long to let it dry. icon_sad.gif

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 14

It depends on how massive your piece are. I've only done flowers and they dry very quickly. I would think that towers would at least be dry enough to handle after drying overnight, even if they aren't dry all the way through.

Good luck!

mumof3 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 14

thank you thumbs_up.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 14

I just made my first gum paste flowers. I used the recipe on the back of the Gum Tex can and mixed the gum paste with my MMF. The flowers dried very quickly...about 10 minutes or so. Since I'm a little slower since I'm just learning, if I would have used straight gum paste I think it would have dried way too fast for me!

leelee82663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leelee82663 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 14

haven't tried using gumpaste yet -- but am very anxious to. have a cake coming up soon that has deer antlers and i know straight fondant will never hold up! i was wondering if it is better to mix up the recipe on the can of gumtex and mix 1/2 and 1/2 with the fondant or just add some of the gumtex powder to the MMF. whichever is best, i need some instructions. please help!!

thanks,
leelee

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 14

Hi, not sure how much help I can be being here in the UK. For modelling I use 50/50. I knead half fondant and half flower paste together (think that is same as what you call gumpaste). If i don't have any i knead in about 1 tsp of gum tragacanth powder (or tylose - tylose is the cheaper alternative here i think) to about 250g of fondant. Wrap in cling film and leave overnight. I just sprinkle the powder on a board and knead the fondant into it until its all absorbed. If you leave overnight it gets more stretch and dries pretty quick when making things. But for towers for castles I use pastillage - have any of you ever used this? its really lightweight, is excellent for building things like walls/buildings etc and as it is even lighter than gum paste it doesn't weigh anything down or collapse as easy. It also dries super hard and is more resistant to breaking. It kneads well and rolls out like gumpaste. Even if it seems hard in its wrapping a quick knead and its back to normal. it also freezes well. I have a recipe for it if anyone is interested icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof3

I tried to search for an answer to this question but it only left me more confused....please could someone help.

I understand the following:

There is Gumpaste..and there is Gumtex, then there is 50/50 Gumpaste or Gumtext.

I can't get Gumpaste and I'm not that confident in using Egg Whites, so I don't want to make my own (also I noticed quiet a few CC's buy their own thumbs_up.gif ...wish I could ....) BUT I can get Gumtex. icon_biggrin.gif

Now at the back of the Gumtex box it gives instructions to make something...what is this something? Is this the same as Gumpaste?

When I searched Gumtex alot of CC'rs seemed have a magical method of just sprinkling it on to their fondant...can I do that icon_surprised.gif Or would this give me 50/50. icon_confused.gif If so is this strong...yet edible... icon_confused.gif

Whoops icon_surprised.gif I forgot to mention. I need the Gumpaste/Gumtex/50-50 for a castle cake. To make the towers and the walls.

Sorry for such a long post...thank you for your time.

Have attached a pic of my first castle cake and I used pastillage for the towers and they held up after a really long journey really well. Good luck with the
LL

mumof3 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:31am
post #10 of 14

Wow allaboutcakeuk that is a lovely cake.

I eventually worked out what to do. My cake is in my pictures. No way as good as yours though. Well done thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:13am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof3

Wow allaboutcakeuk that is a lovely cake.

I eventually worked out what to do. My cake is in my pictures. No way as good as yours though. Well done thumbs_up.gif

thank you mumof3 - it was a long learning curve I'd never done one before. I had to remember to make sure all the turrets were the same height lol

I've just seen your cake - I think its fab! You've done a brilliant job you should be really pleased with yourself thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:27am
post #12 of 14

Just thought I would post this link I found - it lists the differences between all the powders/gums I found it quite interesting so thought i'd share if anyone wanted to have a read through

http://thesugarlane.com/2009/05/12/whats-the-difference-tylose-powder-cmc-powder-trag-powder-gum-tex/

mumof3 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 14

allaboutcake. Thank you so much for your kind comments, and thank you for the link....very very useful.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 14

no problem - any time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%