Dumb Question...

Lounge By Megabot Updated 31 May 2010 , 3:54pm by Iggy

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:50am
post #1 of 6

If I make a cake with "mousse" filling (the pudding and whipped cream kind)...then do you still frost the outside with regular buttercream frosting or do you use the filling? I'm making a wedding cake and one of the tiers will be chocolate with chocolate mousse filling. Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:05am
post #2 of 6

Pipe a stiff buttercream dam around the edge, about 1/2" from the edge, then put the filling in. Use your regular frosting on the outside because mousse wouldn't behave well and would be impossible to smooth.

Pudding and whipped cream mousse needs to be refrigerated. If the cake is going to sit out for more than a couple of hours at the reception, you might want to suggest something different to the bride. Chocolate buttercream with bourbon added instead of the milk has a really decadent flavor...maybe that would appeal.

Megabot Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 6

hmm I was told by fellow CC's that this mousse could sit out...uh oh

Megabot Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

After re-looking into the replies to my past questions I think I was wrong, I do have to refridgerate it...now I have no idea what I should fill it with

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

You could fill it with chocolate ganache and it is fine to sit out. There are many recipes but basically it is heavy whipping cream and chocolate.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 6

I have a wedding cake for July and the bride wants lemon mousse filling. Could I use instant lemon pudding and and Rich's Bettercream so it can sit out longer? I will chill overnight but it will be sitting out for 3-4 hours at the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%