Aussie Bakers

Decorating By julia77 Updated 31 May 2010 , 10:38am by noahsmummy

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 26

Do any of you MAKE fondant?

I have found it would cost as much to make it as it is to buy it....have you found the same?

25 replies
melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 26

i haven't made any yet.... but would love to give it a go.

I live in a pretty remote place so postage is a killer for me. cost me $20 in postage last time for 7kg of fondant, and thats the best deal i have found. all up i think it ended up costing me around $11-$12/kg for fondant

I made mmf once, but had to buy about 5 bags of marshmallows to get enough of the one colour to make one batch. was really yummy though icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 26

I have the same problem being remote and paying postage. I just buy and use Orchard brand from Coles or Woolies. I find it good enough for anything I want to do. I haven't even tried to make my own. I don't like marshmallows, so don't want to be stuck with the leftover colours.

CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 26

i use orchard from coles too. ive only been decorating for 4 months and im still practicing alot so im finding i waste alot and i can buy 500g for less then $5 so its cheap enough for me

jakesmum77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakesmum77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 26

I also only buy the Orchard from Coles or Woolworthes, for $4 per box, i don't think you could save too much by making it yourself when you take into consideration your time to make it, and washing up afterwards etc.

julia77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 26

I pay $11 per kilo for fondant from the cake decorating shop.

exclamation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
exclamation Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #7 of 26

Hi Aussie bakers. I joined the Queensland Cake Decorating Association (there may be an association for every state) and I buy a 7kg box of Bakels fondant for $42. Being in the association has other benifits too - like a quarterly magazine, information on demonstration days, recipes from other cake decorators and even demonstrations at the meetings. You also get to know cake decorators in your area that you can contact for advice and even lessons! Being a member is GREAT!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 26

I haven't made my own - so i 90% of the time use the Regalice that i buy from http://www.champagnecakes.com.au/icing1.html

icon_surprised.gif Angela seems to be waiting on a shipment to come in icon_wink.gif

I do know of a few people who live *remote* and angela always goes for the cheapest postal method with no *min* required.

Bluehue.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 26

I buy online - 7kg box for $47 + about $10 postage (I wait until I need a few things before I order to spread the postage out)

I haven't tried making my own as I'm worried the icing sugar I can get isn't fine enough - would love to know what brand people use if they do make their own fondant.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 26

i make my own, and just end up eating a hell of alot of pink marshmallows. =) lol. also, unless you need white, i find if i throw in a few pink marshmallows, it doesnt really effect the final colour too much (only a few though)

i found a new fondant recipe that calls for jelly crystals, no marshmallows, and glusoce, not corn syrup. im keen to give it a go this month sometime.. but it has quite a good rating, so im hoping ill be able to swap to that inplace of mmf. heres the link to the recipe iof anyone else is interested
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3413/sophiebelles-jello-fondant

also on the hunt for some upgraded colors, have just been using the water based colors from coles, unless its bacl or red, which i invested in... what a rebel i am.. lol.

ohhh, but i am always so jealous of the supplies that seem so readily available in the us! even cake boards! i just cut mine out of cardboard boxes and cover in paper and contact or cellophane. and the pudding mixes they have.. and pur white marshmallows.. and corn sysrup.. and shortening.. and clear vanilla. annd and and.. i could go on forever! hahaha

Bluehue Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:01am
post #11 of 26

NM wrote what a rebel i am.. lol

Lolllllllllll

Bluehuel

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #12 of 26

ohh, and i g=forgot, i was following a thread where another aussie baker and some others were thinking about experimenting with making mmf using homemade marshies? was anyone else following that ? or has anyone tried it themselves?

Bluehue Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #13 of 26

NM - have you seen these devine little creations (scroll down page)
They look so gorgeous using the petal cutter.
http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2010/04/cherry-blossom-marshmallows.html

This recipe i will try - thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

bandan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bandan Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #14 of 26

i make my own marshmellow fondant as people seem to love the flavour more but i donot like marsmellows to start with
i have bought many wilton products from us ebay stores works out cheap to all wilton colours 1oz 2x gum paste mixes 1xmeringue power mix
including postage for under 100 aus dollars

julia77 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #15 of 26

Noahsmummy......you can buy wilton and other colours online, and they are not much more expensive than the store ones. You barely use any so it's worth the extra $$

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #16 of 26

oooh they look so cute! and sound yummy too! id end up eating them all to myslef if i made them. haha

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #17 of 26

yeah im thinking of making the investment, but money is very tight here, so i buy bit by bit. recently found a shop near my area that has cake decortaing supplies, they have powdered colours, but no wilton as yet, they are only new though, so im sure they will eventually get some in.

Bunsen Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:29am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

yeah im thinking of making the investment, but money is very tight here, so i buy bit by bit. recently found a shop near my area that has cake decortaing supplies, they have powdered colours, but no wilton as yet, they are only new though, so im sure they will eventually get some in.

Try and get Americolor if you can - better than Wilton in my opinion and cheaper too!

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 31 May 2010 , 6:06am
post #19 of 26

i buy wilton colours on ebay.... $3.50 a pot and they will combine postage. quick delivery as well

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/cakedecoshop_Icing-Colours_W0QQ_fsubZ1338558010QQ_sidZ116548180QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

i agree americolors are good

champagne cakes sell americolor. And they combine postage.... and she is great to deal with.her colours are cheaper than the shop i used to go to when i lived in civilisation icon_smile.gif.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAKE-DECORATING-AMERICOLOR-GEL-PASTE-FOOD-COLOUR-/180514270221?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Party_Supplies&hash=item2a077d2c0d

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:27am
post #20 of 26

Because I keep kosher, I make all of my own fondant. It is not the cheapest but it serves me well - since I am only using it for personal cakes. I'm not sure what I would do if I made cakes professionally.

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:09am
post #21 of 26

I can buy 1kg fondant for about $1o here in Melbourne but I have to be organised to get to the shop before it closes - why don't cake supply shops stay open late or on weekends? (sorry pet hate of a full time worker and late night baker)

I made marshmallow fondant last month and because I had to buy so many marshmallow packets to get 450g white I made a batch of pink too. this worked out about $15 for 2.5kg I think. Cheaper yes but more time and cleaning =)

I recommend americolor colours - you use less, easier to mix colours and doesnt corrupt your fondant or buttercream.

try www.cakedeco.com.au for supplies im pretty sure they ship Oz wide.

nel

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:12am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

I buy online - 7kg box for $47 + about $10 postage (I wait until I need a few things before I order to spread the postage out).

Bunsen,

would you please share the site you buy from. this is a great price and Im currently looking for suppliers.

Thanks
Nel

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:25am
post #23 of 26

i just made the "jelly fondant" , and its working well! my sister thinks it tastes better than mmf, will get back to you on how it performs!
i just used a box of aeroplane jelly creaming soda falvoured jelly coz i had it in the cupboard, but i know that they make clear unflavoured jelly (that your are supposed to flavor yourself) so i guess you could use that if you wanted white??
anyway, will get back to you with results of performance.. but so far.. its a go! icon_wink.gif

Bunsen Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:34am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelikate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

I buy online - 7kg box for $47 + about $10 postage (I wait until I need a few things before I order to spread the postage out).

Bunsen,

would you please share the site you buy from. this is a great price and Im currently looking for suppliers.

Thanks
Nel

Of course, its www.cakedecoratingcentral.com.au

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:34am
post #25 of 26

Here's a recipe for fondant (from a Lindy Smith book I think) which uses no marshmallows and doesn't need any 'fancy' or hard to find ingredients.

Fondant
15g gelatine
125ml liquid glucose
25ml glycerine
1kg pure icing sugar, sifted

Sprinkle the gelatine over 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Leave until the gelatine is spongy.
Place the bowl over a saucepan of hot (not boiling) water and stir until gelatine has dissolved. Add the glucose and glycerine and stir until melted. (If at all lumpy, strain through a sieve)
Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the gelatine mixture. Mix until it becomes too difficult to stir with a spoon. Tip the mixture onto the bench and knead with dry hands into a smooth, pliable dough.
It can be used immediately, or wrap the icing well in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in a cool place (but do not refrigerate)
Knead again before using, adding more sifted icing sugar as needed.

noahsmummy Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:38am
post #26 of 26

sugar and slice, the recipe i just trialled is very very similar to this one, although it use jelly crystals in place of gelatine,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%