Vendors License For Food Sales In Ohio Who Doesn't Tax Food

Business By MariaK38 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I"m getting all my ducks in a row to start selling my treats at a local farmers market. I'm currently classified as a cottage industry. I'll be calling my insurance company to get business insurance this week. I'm looking into getting a vendors license but I can't find what type of license I need. All that's listed is for taxable sales, and everything I do is non-taxable because it's food.
I don't charge for delivery or set up, and I roll packaging costs into the price of the treats.
Do any of you have a vendors license for Ohio... what type do you have? I can't figure all of this out. Thanks for the help!


2 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry, Maria - I just found your post. I think that whenever you sell something in Ohio, you need to have a vendor's license. They aren't that expensive (I think I paid $25 the last time I bought one.) Nice thing is, it will give you access to lots of vendors where you won't have to pay taxes on items. However, you will need to charge that tax back to the customer. You will also need to fix sales tax reports (I think quarterly.) If you haven't already gotten your answers, ask the Auditor's office when you purchase it. Here is a good brochure.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 3

I did end up calling the state of Ohio Taxation department, and they say I don't need a vendors license because food is non-taxable. The lady I talked to said that I was already paying tax on my packaging, so that took care of the tax part.
Now to check on the income tax thing... a whole other issue!


Quote by @%username% on %date%