Why Steam A Cake?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 7:46am by sweettreat101

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 8

I noticed on cake boss that they steamed their cakes, Why do they do this?

7 replies
Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

it gets the powdered sugar or cornstarch off, it also makes the surface sticky if you wanted to add fondant cut outs.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

You have to be very careful, I bought a steamer and I think I used it too high because it spat water all over my cake one time and it was really bad....

But it does get rid of the powdered sugar and stuff and give it a brighter look.

Although in certain cakes you can just go over it with a light spray of pearl dust (if its a pretty girly cake) and that helps even everything out, too.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

I just use a mister and tighten the nozzle for the finest mist of water. Same effect.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 8

If you have a cheaper, home grade steamer (like me icon_biggrin.gif ) You must make sure to keep the nozzle of the steamer high enough that water/condensation can't pool in a dip in the hose (does that make sense?) That's why you get spatters.
That having been said, you can still get drips, so you must be very careful around the cake. I love the shinier fondant look, so it is worth the risk to me.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

Thanks to all for answering my question. I really love cc.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #7 of 8

I use a clothes steamer I got at Walmart. I found, if I let it steam for about 5/10 minutes before I use it, I don't get any water spatters. I love the look on my cakes!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 7:46am
post #8 of 8

If you don't want to spend the money you can also brush our rub on a light coat of shortening like I did for my purse cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%