Help! How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By customcakeworks Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm by customcakeworks

customcakeworks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakeworks Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

I am pretty new to the cake business, and am just starting to build up clientel. Up until now, I have been discounting most of my sales to get my name out. A new customer has asked me to create the cake posted below. (This is not my cake, but a picture that was sent to me by the customer). It is only to feed 12 people, but I recognize that this cake will take lots of time to finish all of the details.

How much would you charge for this cake? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thankyou in advance.
LL

7 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 8

Before I can give you a reasonable answer I need to ask a couple of questions. What size cake are you planning to make? You only need a 6" round (4") high to feed 12. Are you planning to model your figure from fondant or gumpaste or will it be cake? Also are you covering your cake in buttercream or fondant?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

i wouldn't sell that cake as Mario is a trademark/copyright character and i'm sure getting the licensing fees to recreate the cake would cost a lot more than the customer is willing to pay, expecially for a cake to only feed 12 people.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 8

Leily, you're absolutely right. I wasn't even thinking about the copyright issue. I'm just a hobbiest so I was just thinking about all of the work involved for a cake like that.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 8

..moving to General forum.

customcakeworks Posted 31 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Before I can give you a reasonable answer I need to ask a couple of questions. What size cake are you planning to make? You only need a 6" round (4") high to feed 12. Are you planning to model your figure from fondant or gumpaste or will it be cake? Also are you covering your cake in buttercream or fondant?

I was probably going to make a 8" cake. I might use a styrofoam ball covered in fondant for the head, and cake for the torso with rolled fondant for the arms. I've also thought about rice crispy square torso covered in fondant.

I will cover the cake with a thin layer of buttercream covered with fondant.

As for using a trademarked character, does anyone have a good web resource that offers information on lisencing?

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcakeworks

As for using a trademarked character, does anyone have a good web resource that offers information on lisencing?

What information are you looking for? Like what you can and can't use? or who to contact to use it?

If it's trademarked/copyrighted then you can't use it without written permission from the license holder. (this also includes all company logos/sport teams/etc...)

As for who holds the license, there are SOOOO many things that are copyrighted/trademarked that you just have to look up who owns each trademarked item you want to do.

As for mario... i woudl start with Nintendo - i'm assuming that someone else owns them by now... but not sure.

customcakeworks Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I decided not to take the order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%