What Do You Put Under Your Fondant

Decorating By Briarview Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 12:10pm by boring

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:02am
post #1 of 4

to make it adhere to a fruit cake? In the past I have used sieved apricot jam but for some reason it seems to make the almond icing go yucky. Am I putting on too much or what else could I use.
Also when I stick the top layer on and use boiled sugar and water, the top icing seems to separate from the almond icing when the cake is cut.
Help please.

3 replies
adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:15am
post #2 of 4

Your covering with marzipan, and then putting the apricot jam and then the fondant?

I made one time a marzipan cake and just put under the apricot glaze, but what I do is boil it a little bit and then let it cooled down and then apply a layer on the cake, after that I apply the marzipan

I did saw a double layer marzipa-fondant on a book and what they do is let the moisture of the marzipan adhere the fondat

hope it helps!!!

maybe someone with more experience could help more, either way this is a bump for your question

happy baking!!!!

icon_smile.gif

Adriana

swillshaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swillshaz Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:26am
post #3 of 4

I dont like marzipan and skip it all together. I dilute brandy with a some water and spray on the fruitcake then cover with fondant. Works for me.

Hope that helps.
icon_smile.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 4

I have use/d Apricot jam(especially for fruit cakes) and warm it a bit in the microwave for that matter any jam that doesn't have any fruit bits in it can be used. If you warm the jam it makes it go like liquid so that you only put a small amount on and I use it warm But I have also used buttercream under fondant but still have not prefected this method as the buttercream tends to add a bubble. Maybe a better way would be to let it dry a bit then spray with a fine mist of water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%