Question About Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Lynn929 Updated 30 May 2010 , 4:02pm by Lynn929

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All, I've noticed after making the Wilton Buttercream and decorating a cake after it sits for an hour or so and using the star tip method on the cake its HARD why is that? I am worried that once the cake makes it to the function the icng will be almost crunchy hard. Has anyone ever experienced this? If so please tell me what I need to do.....Thanks so much.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 6

That's called crusting. Crusting is helpful when you're trying to smooth a cake. If you don't want it to crust, look for a recipe that has a higher proportion of fat to sugar. It doesn't crust hard enough to make eating it unpleasant though, at least not usually.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

It probably seems "crunchier" due to the little stars. The icing is going to crust wherever the air hits it, which is alot when using the star tip. But, as Texas said, it's not unpleasant to eat. It shouldn't get so hard that people won't like it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #4 of 6

Personally I don't like the Wilton recipe. I use a crusting buttercream but it doen't crust nearly as "hard" as the Wilton. The use of the meringue powder is probably why it crust harder than mine because I don't use meringue powder.

I use Indydebi's Buttercream recipe. You can find the recipe here in the "most saved" recipes. I suggest that you try another recipe that doesn't use meringue powder and see the difference for yourself. thumbs_up.gif
Her icing doesn't have to be refrigerated either.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:38am
post #5 of 6

Here's a tasty b/c recipe that is only minimally crusting (if extra meringue powder is added):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

No Crust b/c recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1610/no-crust-buttercream-icing

HTH

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Everyone for responding to my post, You guys rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%