Anyone Ever Use Sam's Club Buttercream??

Decorating By rhesp1212 Updated 30 May 2013 , 5:08pm by ckendra38

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 10

I know this is not ideal, but I have a 5 tier mostly buttercream wedding cake due at the end of June and I just can't imagine having to make that much buttercream from home!! That's a TON! Sam's club will sell their buttercream in 5 gallon buckets fro $35. I've heard of people adding flavoring to it to help it taste better. However, they told me it's not a crusting buttercream. I definitely need crusting! Any idea on how to make it a crusting buttercream?

Anyone else find bulk crusting buttercream icing anywhere other than cake shops??

Thanks,
Valerie

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 10

i used to use that stuff when i worked in a wal-mart bakery and it is definitely a crusting buttercream. It is a crisco/vegetable shortening based recipe.

As for flavoring, i would suggest doing a search as i know there have been quite a few other people who flavor it.

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

hmmmmm, that's what I kind of figured, but they were sure it wasn't crusting. I think I'm going to ask them to see the ingredient list on the bucket and maybe will just buy it and give it a try on a practice cake first.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 10

The 5 gallon bucket of "Bettercreme" is crusting. They also sell a "whipped cream" frosting that isn't.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 10

The Sam's But-R-Creme is crusting. I just bought a bucket and have been using it. It's a great consistency and I have gotten lots of compliments on the flavor just how it is. Everyone likes how it's "not to sweet". I think it's a great deal!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 10

This is weird. I haven't bought Sam's "Bettercreme", but the Rich's brand "Bettercreme" I've bought here in Mexico isn't buttercream at all, but sort of a stabilized whipped cream. It's delicious though. Am I crazy, or do they export different things under the same name?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

The 5 gallon bucket of "Bettercreme" is crusting. They also sell a "whipped cream" frosting that isn't.

Nope, the But'R'Creme is the crusting frosting. The Bettercreme is the whipped cream style frosting. It doesn't crust.

And Marianna: Sam's uses the Rich's brand of bettercreme. They are the same thing. The only thing is if you order straight from Rich's, you can order a variety of flavors and you can get it unwhipped too. Might be easier to flavor it or color it from the unwhipped stage.

rhesp1212: I don't know why they told you the but'r'creme wasn't crusting, because it is. The Bettercreme is the one that doesn't crust. Look at the label to see what kind you got. The Bettercreme is in an opaque white bucket with a pink label. The But'R'Creme is a slightly transparent bucket and just has a black and white label that says "Sam's" on it. I work at Sam's and so to avoid confusion when I'm talking about it, I call the Bettercreme "whipped topping" just because bettercreme and but'r'creme sound so much alike. We had this regular customer that would get buckets of the whipped topping all the time. When she started getting it, she would always call it Bettercreme. Well, the bakery is a very loud place and we would always think she said buttercream. After a few weeks of this I finally said "Oh you meant the WHIPPED TOPPING!!!" She still didn't learn. Still called it bettercreme. So I just let some new person help her out and have her deal with having to clarify every time.

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

I use it all the time and everyone loves the flavor as is. I have had no problem with it crusting. I use the papertowel method to smooth it out and it works great.

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 10

Can you freeze the Sam's but'r'creme?

ckendra38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckendra38 Posted 30 May 2013 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 10

As far as Buttercream, I am looking myself for the same reason. I've called Walmart and they will not sell it. The local SamsClub does not have a bakery. If anyone has other ideas... There are not many bakery's in my area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%