Best Cake Decorating/baking Books

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 31 May 2010 , 9:14pm by LindaF144a

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to compile a list of some decorating/baking books in order to create a great library for myself.

Can anyone share what they consider to be the best or most favorite book in this category? There are so many on the market, that it seems very overwhelming!

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

8 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 9

Tiered Cakes (Wilton) and Embroidery and Lace with Patchwork Cutters (Marion Frost) I bought Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes just to have a pix of the cake on page 232 (3 tiered with a million piped meringue flowers) but have learned over the years that her recipes are not for the home baker. She does have some very talented food stylists, tho.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 9

Hi Maria,

There are some GREAT books out there, and yes I have an addiction to them too!

My absolute favorite basic decorating book is "The Well Decorated Cake" by Toba Garrett. I use it over and over again, great techniques and ideas.

The other one I really like is "Perfect Party Cakes" by Carol Deacon. Simple and easy cakes that look amazing. She walks through the steps perfectly. Also she tells you how much of each product you should need.
Hope that helps, Happy Baking!
Lisa

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much for the recommendations! Has anyone read "Bakewise"? That's one I'm considering...

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 9

I really like the Whimsical Bakehouse book, and the two Confetti Cakes books by Elisa Strauss. I think Toba Garrett's book is really informative but her style is not so much to my tastes.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 9

among my faves are toba garrett's professional cake decorating (lots of techniques, fr piping to brush emb, fr r.i. to fondant, even marzipan & more)..elisa strauss' confetti cakes cookbook, peggy porschen's pretty party cakes book & debbie brown's enchanted party cakes for children...& will be adding some more to my collection icon_biggrin.gif

bobbie

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 9

My favorite is the "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

I hear she has a new one out but I haven't bought that yet. The recipes are by measurements and also by weight which I find, very accurate.

DianaJJ

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakelayer

My favorite is the "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
DianaJJ

The Cake Bible is excellent, but I think Rose's Heavenly Cakes might be even better.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

I really like the Whimsical Bakehouse book, and the two Confetti Cakes books by Elisa Strauss.

I agree with these books too. I also like the PlanetCake book and the books from Sylvia Weinstock - Sensational Cakes and something like Celebration Cakes. I get those from my library, so I haven't bothered to buy them yet. They are more eye candy for me because I don't make wedding cakes.

But the chocolate cake in the Whimsical Bakehouse is delicious, as well as the chocolate and vanilla cake recipes in Elisa's books too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%