What Can I Sell Online And How?

Business By sister340 Updated 30 May 2010 , 2:02pm by tootie0809

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

I love making cakes, cookies, special treats for holidays. I am licensed and insured, health dept approved, have a commercial kitchen,etc. But I have a big problem I live in a very little town. And it seems like everyone here does a lot of their own baking. Also, we're not a real wealthy area.

I need to know how to get started with a website, how to market and especially, how to ship things so they don't get ruined.
Any ideas on how to jump into web marketing with items like these?

I would appreciate any input at all.

Thanks;
Jackie

9 replies
FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 10

Etsy or ebay may be a good outlet if you do gumaste figures. I ship 6-pk cupcakes with no problems, try considering this too. HTH icon_wink.gif

sister340 Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 10

I have looked at etsy. Do you sell from there? Could you tell me how you package for shipping? I sent dipped strawberries once. Used ice packs on outside of double boxes, paid expensive next day freight and they were inedible when they arrived. Of course, I didn't charge them, but I need advice on how to insure things make it to the destination in good shape.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am really trying to figure this out.
jackie

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 10

I would start with a large company like Etsy, Ebay, etc. as mentioned above. Since these companies are sooo well known and have extremely high traffic, they will draw customers in for marketing purposes -thousands more than just your own website.
They are also an umbrella for customer disputes, customers can offer feedback (good and bad) after every purchase, easy messaging for you and customers, already established payment procedures (better security than a customer giving you their credit card info or waiting for a check in the mail), sales tracking, no web design or set-up expense, etc.

HTH icon_smile.gif

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 10

I plan to, but have not yet sold on Etsy. I was waiting to get my Cake Cricut, only to get a defective one! Now I have to wait for them to send me a new one...grrrr...There are several people on there already selling, so you will need to find something that sets you apart. With gumpaste figures or toppers, wrap them in bubble wrap, box, bubble wrap, box..then ship. They will be fine!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 10

As far as a website I went to www.freewebs.com and set one up. You can pay a small fee for the year as not to have advertisements bugging your cakes. It is easy to use.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 10

if you're looking at shipping over state lines make sure that your health department license covers that. I have heard that some states you have to have a sepearate license to do this (just like some require a seperate license to sell wholesale to restaurants)

sister340 Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 10

Great ideas!! Thanks;
Jackie

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 10

We ship our cupcakes, but it is very expensive....We ship them (next day delivery) frozen w/ dry ice. We are in Canada and to ship within Canada it is about $100 and to the U.S it is around $250! So as you could imagine we don't ship too often icon_smile.gif I imagine with cookies if you had enough bubble wrap they would be ok... Good luck!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

if you're looking at shipping over state lines make sure that your health department license covers that. I have heard that some states you have to have a sepearate license to do this (just like some require a seperate license to sell wholesale to restaurants)

Yes! Very good advice! When I got licensed in my state they made it very clear that I was ONLY licensed the sell in my state and was not permitted with that license to sell across state lines. So make sure you are aware of those licensing laws first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%