Please Help, Cake With Sps Slanting?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm by leah_s

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 10

Hello cc friends, this is my 3rd tiered cake and every one of this has had a slight slant to them..., i measure then after icing and edges seem to be same height, sps system, then stack, then when the second tier is on, i can see it slants toward one way a little, so i position the front of the cake to try and hide it...WHY can it be straight!! cake looks straight before i put it on the sps system??

9 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 10

Are the legs to your sps all the same length? Check to see if your legs are all the same length and put the plate on them and check for level with a real level. I have a small one that I only use on my cakes. If the plate is level, then each tier should be level. If not, then level the legs and plate and you should be good to go icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 10

thank you! I will invest in a level right awayicon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 10

i used to have an issue like this when I first started doing tiered cakes as well, most likely the culprit is your legs are either not the same length as eachother OR the ends are not cut perfectly straight on them (are you cutting the legs yourself?)

This is what solved my problem!!

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/143/2/AAAAAhVNOxgAAAAAAUMkwg.jpg

Put the sps leg in there once you know WHERE you want to cut it and hold it tightly and hack away, guaranteed a perfectly straight cut everytime!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 10

KHalstead, do you know what that bad boy is called, and where one would find it?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 10

it's called a "meiter box" I paid $7.99 for mine and it came with the saw, I got it at my local hardware store. Home depot, lowes, etc. all carry them...they're a pretty common item evidentally lol.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 10

btw when using a level put it on your counter first to see how level it is- made that mistake several times before i figured out my counter wasn't exactly perfect and so then when the cakes looked level they really weren't

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1970

btw when using a level put it on your counter first to see how level it is- made that mistake several times before i figured out my counter wasn't exactly perfect and so then when the cakes looked level they really weren't

icon_confused.gif I would never have thought of that, thanks for sharing!

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 10

I don't know about SPS, but I do know that Leah_S does. If you still need help, maybe you can PM her or KHalsteadicon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 10

This is a great reason to bake your cakes to height (either 4" or 5") and then use the precut SPS legs. (Or buy a miter box.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%