Help! I Need To Duplicate This Cake!

Decorating By bates123 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm by marthajo1

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 26

I need to attempt to duplicate this cake. I'm going to cover it in fondant, use real seashells and use either raw sugar or brown sugar for the sand. The drift wood things I thought I would make from fondant/gumpaste and brush with luster dust. I just don't know how to duplicate the green stick things. How should I go about this?
LL

25 replies
Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 26

the green sticks look like something you could find in the floral aisle at the craft store. Since you're already putting on non-edible shells, i think the green sticks would also be fine in non-edible.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 26

If you want to go edible, check out what fresh herb stems look like after you pick the leaves. I think mint stems might look similar to that.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 26

I am no help.

But please post a photo of your cake when you are done. I've seen a lot of beach themed cakes lately and they are so pretty. I would love to see yours.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 26

For a totally edible thing...you could make your sea shells from melting white and chocolate flavored camdy melts separately.. slightly swirl together for the modeled look..... and put in candy sea shell forms....bop in the freezer for about 15 min. and your done....it really goes quite quickly and they look so real... You could also paint the dark color (with melted dark chocolate) on the candy form first and then pour in the white chocolate.....As far as the stick.. Check at Whole Foods for an herb stem.....

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 26

that was a great idea to use herb stems.

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 26

I would probably make a bunch of 'stems' with royal icing. Let it dry and then stick them in.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 26

I made a fairly similar cake but I used graham cracker crumbs for sand. I think they would alter the taste far less than a brown sugar. Also, one layer was key lime, so it complimented well. I didn't use the stick things, but I used added "beach grass". I just went to Michaels and bought a stick of grass and cut off a bit. I also used real shells, but I soaked them in a bleach/water mix first to make sure they were sanitary. Good luck!!

bates123 Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 26

Wow...thanks so much for all of the ideas! I live in a rural area so we have no Michaels or cool craft stores, but I'm going to look for the fake stems. I'll check out the herbs...that really sounds like it would work! I'll make royal icing stems too and just see which ones look the best. I bet that the "drift wood" would look better with royal icing too.

I really didn't think about the brown sugar altering the taste. Did the graham crackers look alright?

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 26

If you have an extruder you cold extrude some dark brown or green gumpaste or fondant and let them dry.

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 26

If you want the beach grass edible, use raw spaghetti and the right shade of green royal icing. Use about a 3 or 4 tip and slide the spaghetti into your piping bag through the tip opening. Pull it back out very slowly, piping very gently. The royal icing will cover the spaghetti. Keep piping for the length you want, stick in styrofoam to begin to dry. If you want to flaten it out for grass, just gently pinch up the grass before it's completely hard. When you add to your cake, just stick into the cake since it's edible.

You can also use this with brown/chocolate icing for cattails.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 26

I like kake4kids ideas. Hats off to you on this one! Please do post a pic.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 26

Do you guys think that is supposed to be driftwood or is it seaweed or coral?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #14 of 26

LOVE the spagetti/royal idea... I have tried to paint them, have covered them in fondant, but didnt like either method!! Thanks!!

And I always use graham crackers for sand. It tastes alot better and isnt near as sweet on top of icing.

Although I did run out of graham crackers one time and used cinnimon ritz, and they got rave reviews from the kids.

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 29 May 2010 , 11:59pm
post #15 of 26

I like the idea of molding shells out of chocolate. I think its nicer to have everything on a cake edible. As for the stems I suggest using rosemary stems. Plus you will have all that nice rosemary your stripped off the stems to use for maybe a tasty foccocia

bates123 Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 26

Here's the finished product! The herbs ended up drooping. I used carrot tops for the stick things. They were too green so I painted them with food coloring gel. My friend that I made the cake for wanted real shells. I would have attempted to make them, but she knew what she wanted. I made the driftwood or whatever that stuff is on there from 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. I used raw sugar for the sand. Thanks for looking!
LL

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 26

It came out beautiful. Great Job!

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 26

very nice!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #19 of 26

It's lovely!!!! icon_smile.gif

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 26

It did really come out good...great job!!!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 26

It's beautiful!!!!

bates123 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks so much! You all are great!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #23 of 26

Turned out great!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #24 of 26

Now I am curious - what dopes the card say? (especially since date is for two months from now....)

bates123 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #25 of 26

My friend's niece is getting married in August in Costa Rica. Since the wedding is in Costa Rica some of the family won't be able to attend. The bride wanted her shower to have a beach theme with a beach cake and try to make it special for her family. The card has their names, the date of the wedding and "Pura Vita" which means Pure Life.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #26 of 26

You did such a fabulous job! Beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%