Need Help Attaching Fondant Figurines

Decorating By lmcwilli Updated 28 May 2010 , 1:07pm by lmcwilli

lmcwilli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcwilli Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 3

I hope someone can help me with this. I need to know the best way to attach modeling chocolate over crusted buttercream and how to attach my fondant figurines to the modeling chocolate. My cake is frosted with buttercream and I am making a mud puddle out of rolled modeling chocolate. I then need to attach my dried fondant pigs and figurines to the modeling chocolate mud puddle. Any suggestions?

I also have a fondant figurine cake topper that I need to attach. It has some weight to it and I dont want it to touch the buttercream or to sink into it. I plan to insert dowels into the cake under her to support the weight. She will be attached to a dried rolled fondant mat over the dowels and the whole topper will be attached to the cake with fresh buttercream.

I will then be piping grass around the topper with fresh buttercream. This is the final step, everything else will be done the night before. I am trying to avoid the buttercream or modeling chocolate sticking to the figurines. They will be a keepsake for my Grandaughter.

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 3

If the mud puddle is on the top of the cake, I would just lay it on the buttercream and push it down a little with even pressure.............if you don't want the pigs to get anything on them, I would've suggested making the "mud" out of gumpaste. I don't see how you can "attach" the figures to the modeling chocolate without "getting anything" on them!

I was going to suggest using melted chocolate to adhere the bottoms of them to the mud puddle, but now I'm not sure since I read you don't want anything on them!

lmcwilli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcwilli Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your suggestion and your quick reply. I was thinking of gum paste for the puddles as well. The biggest problem as you know, is you cover the cake with all the cute stuff and then when it comes time to actually eat the cake, most of the decorations are not edible and you have to practically undecorate it just to cut and eat it.

Hey, congratulations on your weight loss...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%