Using Ribbon For Trim

Decorating By tminton Updated 28 May 2010 , 7:30pm by stlcakelady

tminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tminton Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 8

I have seen a post on here about this before but can't put my finger on it now. I am using satin ribbon around the bottom of each tier of a 3 tiered cake. What do you suggest I back the ribbon with to keep it from getting "grease" spots?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #2 of 8

I use wax paper. Cut it the same size as your ribbon and put it between your cake and the ribbon. Some say that they iron it onto the ribbon but I hate ironing so I don't do that.

Someone suggested double sided tape. Tape it to the ribbon then remove the cover to the other side of the tape and apply the wax paper. No tape will touch your cake and the wax paper sticks to your ribbon.

tminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tminton Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not much on ironing either but I may try the double sided tape idea. Thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 8

I usually dont cover the backs and let it soak, but satin ribbon it's a different story. Since is softer it tends to show the grease more and wrinkle by the weight. Either wax it or if you want something stronger, put some contact paper on the back of it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 8

Someone suggested Press n Seal once and while I haven't tried it yet, if it sticks to your ribbon, it would be easier to apply I think. I've only used wax paper with double side tape.

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

Freezer paper works good

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 8

if press in seal would stick thatd be a great way to do it. I love that stuff

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 8

I just did one a few weeks ago and used freezer paper cut to the exact size as my satin ribbon. Worked like a charm. I put the paper around the cake and held it in place with a corsage pin until I was ready to put the satin ribbon on top of it. Then I removed the pin and the paper was stuck to the buttercream and placed the ribbon on the paper and again held them both in place with the corsage pin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%